    I bought a region 3 dvd player in asia which can be used with 120V.
    Does anyone know if I can hook it up to my North American TV and play
    asian DVDs? Thanks, apkesh

    Apkesh, Dec 27, 2003

  2. Apkesh

    Skid Guest

    You might try searching for region-free firmware for that make and model.

    Skid, Dec 27, 2003

  3. Apkesh

    Jay G Guest

    Yes, you can hook it up and play any R3 DVDs you have. However,
    your DVD player won't be able to play most North American DVDs,
    which are largely R1.

    If you want to be able to play both R1 and R3, you might want
    to look into making your player all-region, like Skid suggested.

    Go here to see if you can "hack" your player and make it all-region:
    http://www.dvdrhelp.com/dvdhacks

    -Jay

    Jay G, Dec 27, 2003
  4. Apkesh

    Guest Guest

    Yes, but one thing to check. Does the DVD player output as NTSC or PAL? If
    PAL, then your TV needs to be able to show PAL and NTSC. Or you can buy a
    PAL-NTSC convertor. In the DVD outputs as NTSC, it should be fine.
    Although, as the other person said, you won't be able to view US DVDs on it,
    because they are region 1.

    Guest, Dec 28, 2003
  5. Apkesh

    Apkesh Guest

    Thanks guys. I had no idea DVD players too come with PAL/NSTC settings
    (I thought it had to do with just VHS).

    The player that I have is by Toshiba model name SD1200. Any one know
    if this can be changed to play R1 by a technician (or is it easy
    enough that anyone can do it)? Thx.

    Apkesh, Jan 2, 2004
  6. Apkesh

    Jay G Guest