Can you help?

Discussion in 'Home Networking' started by James Cook, Jul 21, 2003.

  1. James Cook

    James Cook Guest

    I just got a laptop ,only a cheapy, to take with me when I go away shortly.
    I'm staying in a hotel that has 'high speed data ports' in the rooms.

    At the moment the laptop only has an internal modem and I've set up a dial
    up connection for my normal internet connection.

    Question is - what do I need to do to be able to hook up to one of these
    high speed data ports ? Do I need some additional hardware or is it just a
    software thing ?
    James Cook, Jul 21, 2003
    1. Advertisements

  2. James Cook

    Rob Morley Guest

    Presumably the "high speed data ports" are in fact RJ45 sockets running
    ethernet, so you'll need a PCMCIA ethernet card and a patch lead.
    Rob Morley, Jul 21, 2003
    1. Advertisements

  3. James Cook

    Mike Yates Guest

    PCMCIA ethernet cards can cost as little as £12 and the cheap ones are
    as good as the others.
    There's no point in 100Mb/s for Internet use, 10Mb/s will do -
    "broadband" is 1/20 that speed.
    They all have rather fragile, awkward external bulges or "donkey's
    plonker" connectors until you get over £50 where you get a fatter type
    (type III) which take up both your slots but have a flush RJ45 socket in
    the end.

    Think about a GSM card instead. That has a built-in mobile phone and
    again the better ones have aerials which fold inside them. Then you
    could be in touch anywhere with mobile coverage, probably much cheaper
    than hotel rates too. Speed depends on your contract - you can get
    9.6Kb/s, 19.2, 48 or sometimes 96Kb/s - it is digital, so compare with
    64 or 128 ISDN, not with "buzz-whistle" modems for speed. 9.6 is plenty
    to get your email within the minimum call cost.
    If you've got an infra-red port (probably have) you might find a
    compatible mobile phone a bit cheaper, but you need the same GSM data
    contract and I've seen people struggling to line them up on those little
    tables in trains.
    Mike Yates, Jul 22, 2003
  4. Sometimes USB is provided too, and a windows driver disk.
    I have never seen only USB, but I have seen only ethernet.

    Cost in the US of this type of access varies enormously from one
    hotel to another, so if you plan on using it, check out the cost
    when selecting hotels.
    Andrew Gabriel, Jul 23, 2003
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.