    do counter twisting to keep the hood placement. If you place the filter in
    the hood... how easy is it to get your hand in the hood to adjust the
    circular polarizer filter?

    Ryan Bygland, Jan 13, 2007

  2. Ryan Bygland

    Mark² Guest

    No, you can't use the hood to turn the filter. Canon hoods mount behind the
    filters...not TO them.

    It's not usually very easy to adjust with a hood on, but it partly depends
    on the surfact of the rotation on the filter. Some filters have grip
    grooves on the front...others on the sides. My super slim filters would be
    hard to turn with a hood on because there's very little to grip.

    Mark², Jan 13, 2007

  3. Ryan Bygland

    King Sardon Guest

    Consider one of the rubber lens hoods that can be set for partial
    collapse. They are cheaper than the Canon lens hoods and especially
    useful for standard zooms. Pop the hood out all the way for the longer
    settings, and set it half-way for normal focal lengths. Collapse it
    all the way for the widest setting and to put the camera away.

    Those hoods usually screw into the filter, so you could turn the
    polarizer with it.

    KS

    King Sardon, Jan 13, 2007
  4. Ryan Bygland

    Paul Mitchum Guest

    Most Pentax lenses have a little hatch on the side of the hood so you
    can get your finger in there and turn the polarizer. I'm surprised more
    manufacturers don't do this.

    In a lot of situations, though, you can just take off the bayonet hood,
    adjust the filter, and then put the hood back on if you want.

    Paul Mitchum, Jan 13, 2007
  5. Ryan Bygland

    Xatnep Guest

    Canon are too tight to even include the hoods with their lenses, so it
    is no surprise that they don't think of things like the hatch on the hood.

    Xatnep, Jan 14, 2007
  6. You might get your facts straight, Mr. Pentax, before making stupid
    remarks.

    John McWilliams, Jan 14, 2007
  7. Ryan Bygland

    Skip Guest

    Well, they don't include hoods with any but their "L" lenses, as far as I
    know.

    Skip, Jan 14, 2007
  8. Ryan Bygland

    Mark² Guest

    Actually, every Canon L lens comes with a lens hood.
    Most people who buy consumer lenses don't care to use them anyway, and for
    those that do...it's usually about $20-25 for teh custom hood.

    Mark², Jan 14, 2007
  9. AFAIK, also. But he made a blanket statement that's wrong on its face.

    John McWilliams, Jan 14, 2007
  10. Ryan Bygland

    Xatnep Guest

    Ok, sorry - I should have said "Canon are too tight to even include
    hoods with their lenses, except the L series. The L series are canon's
    high end lenses, which finally include things like hoods and pouches
    that are included standard on most other manufacturer's entire range of
    lenses". Makes you wonder where they get off though charging $20-$50 for
    a piece of plastic that would probably cost about 10c to make in china,
    which pretty much everyone else throws in for free. Especially when a
    hood can have such a bearing on the quality of the photo. Or maybe it is
    a smart move... Punter buys gold ring lens, finds the contrast
    terrible and lots of flare spots and instead of thinking "I need a hood"
    he thinks "I need an L lens".

    Xatnep, Jan 14, 2007
  11. Canon includes lens hoods with L glass.....

    (at least they did with my 24-105)

    Scott in Florida, Jan 14, 2007
  12. Hi Ryan,
    I have had the 28-135 for 4 years now and have no problems adjusting
    the polariser filter through the cutouts in the hood.
    You need to train yourself to slide your finger down the inside of the
    hood so you don't end up with greasies on the filter. YMMV

    Cheers,
    Allan

    Allan Sheppard, Jan 14, 2007
  13. Ryan Bygland

    Mark² Guest

    It's called business, chum. They are a company that exists to make a
    profit. If you don't understand this, then perhaps you should make sure
    that you always work for someone else.
    The fact is, the vast majority of consumer-level shooters wouldn't likely
    care to use the hood, much less understand its benefits. That small
    percentage of users doesn't likely justify sending millions of hoods to
    everyone. It would be nice if they'd include a hood, but it doesn't take a
    business genius to see why they don't.

    Mark², Jan 14, 2007
  14. Ryan Bygland

    Paul Mitchum Guest

    Actually, the way things work is that if you don't like it, you don't
    buy it. Canon's aware that the decision to buy their product typically
    doesn't revolve around whether the petal hood is included or not, so
    they charge for it.

    Paul Mitchum, Jan 14, 2007
  15. Ryan Bygland

    Mark² Guest