    I live in the UK and I'm thinking about buying an UZI from the States.
    I would like to know if the video output can be switched from NTSC to
    PAL format. I assume it's a firmware switch.

    Gadget, Dec 10, 2003

  2. Gadget

    Jupier Guest

    I've got a PAL format E100-RS which is a very similar camera. There's
    no means of switching to NTSC on or in the camera itself, so I imagine
    the converse applies with the UZI.

    Jupier, Dec 11, 2003

  3. No, there is no user menu to switch formats. If your interest in TV output is
    for slide shows (as opposed to using it while framing the shot), you might want
    to pick up one of the dedicated media card -> TV output devices. I think I
    recall eFilm made such a device (~ $70 USD the last time I saw the device).

    Michael Meissner, Dec 11, 2003
  4. Gadget

    winddancing Guest

    winddancing, Dec 12, 2003
  5. Gadget

    PETERWOJ Guest

    I live in the UK and I'm thinking about buying an UZI from the States.
    First of all don't expect to buy it new in the store. They've been out of
    production and store shelves for more than a year. I bought one in June 2002
    and it was probably last batch. There were some additional sightings of the
    camera (one member of UZI group reported seeing them in Hawaii store and helped
    sell them all 4 in one day.)but that was summer year ago. There were some
    refurbished units in Oly store but I haven't seen them lately anymore. And
    there is e-bay with used ones. Assuming you do get one there is no user option
    to switch to PAL output as far as I know. BTW Olympus doesn't allow consumers
    to update firmware so you would have to take it to the dealer. I only used NTSC
    output to display pictures on TV only once and they look awfull compared to
    good computer monitor so I'm not sure you should even bother. I can't think of
    any other usage for NTSC/PAL output. Instead you should spend money on card
    reader to download pictures to computer directly from the card instead of
    camera. Since you're posting on the internet I'm assuming you have computer to
    keep, view and print pictures. If you insist on watching pics on TV (family
    gathering for example) you can burn them on CD and watch them on DVD player
    (most new ones should be able to display it). UZI has small LCD screen on the
    back to review pictures when traveling to make sure you captured the moment or
    need another take.

    PETERWOJ, Dec 12, 2003
  6. The TV output can be used as a remote viewfinder, very handy at times.
    I can put the camera into access holes and other places I can't otherwise
    shoot from.

    It is invaluable for self portraits. It complements the UZI's IR remote
    control.

    The TV output may be better than the camera's LCD for deciding which
    pictures to delete when no computer is handy for offloading.

    Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX, Dec 13, 2003