Can Windows 2003 32-bit run on 64-Bit Processor . . .

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Guest, Jan 17, 2006.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Hello,

    I know this is a stupid question but I do not know if the following is
    possible.

    Can Windows 2003 Standard (32-bit) run on an Intel P4 3.0 EM64T chip?
    If so, are there any issues you can think of?

    I have four brand new P4 3.0 EM64T Chips with compatible Intel Motherboards
    and would like to use them
    in a project I am gearing towards.

    I have spent many hours surfing trying to obtain an answer but have not
    found any that are concrete. The closest
    I came to an answer was at...
    http://www.windowsitpro.com/Windows/Article/ArticleID/44686/44686.html
    " And because the x64 platform is compatible with today's 32-bit OSs
    and software,
    customers who purchase x64-based servers, workstations, or PCs today
    will be able
    to upgrade to 64-bit Windows versions in the future and still run all
    their existing applications...."

    Thank you for your time.

    Trislam

    Hardware
    Motherboard: D915GEVLK (supports chip below)
    Chip : P4 3.0 630 EM64T (A40)

    Guest, Jan 17, 2006

  2. Andre Da Costa, Jan 17, 2006

  3. Yes, with no issues at all.

    As far as I know, you can not upgrade from 32bit to 64bit, but you can reinstall.
    You may want to install the 32bit version in a WINNT folder instead of Windows, then when you go 64bit, You can install it to the
    default Windows folder and dual boot until you have it fully functional.

    BerkHolz, Steven, Jan 17, 2006
  4. Guest

    Rick Guest

    Yes. The 32-bit versions of Windows run on the Intel EM64T and the
    AMD64 CPUs. They both have 32-bit modes as well as the 64-bit mode.

    The only restrictions I have come across is with some of the PCI-Express
    boards with nVidia chips state that Windows 95/98(SE)/ME will not run on
    them. I have never seen a reason, though.

    Rick, Jan 17, 2006
  5. Guest

    Rick Guest

    Do not "upgrade" from 32bit to 64bit. You WILL end up with problems.
    Win 64bit uses a different folder for 32-bit programs, and the 32bit
    support files are in a different folder, too!

    Only a clean install of the 64bit Windows is recommended!

    If you want to dual-boot, then install the 64bit in a separate partition
    or drive after 32bit is installed.

    This subject has been discussed many, many times over the past 2 years
    and virtually everyone who did not heed the advice wound up with
    multiple problems!

    Rick, Jan 17, 2006
  6. Good tip about the Win9x issue with the nVidia chips.

    There is another reason for not running Win9x and that is the memory
    limitation of 512mb (given that most users of these boards are likely to
    want to run 1GB or more anyway). I am using Virtual Server 2005 R2 to get
    around this.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jan 17, 2006
  7. Amen! Do NOT go there.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jan 18, 2006
  8. Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jan 18, 2006
  9. Guest

    vvv2 Guest

    I do't heart about different Windows version in the one partition!
    :))

    good day!

    vvv2, Jan 18, 2006