    "Is he still chewing on your pants leg, or have you beaten him off yet? I've got
    the antibacterial scrub ready, if you think you'll need it. And several
    different types of disinfectant."

    Mara, Jun 27, 2003

  2. Smiley

    °Mike° Guest

    He's a little punch drunk - not a problem. :)
    I *have* scrubbed up, but it's always nice to know there's
    alternatives, should one strain become resistant.

    °Mike°, Jun 27, 2003

  3. Howdy!

    *cough* EIGAR *cough*

    RwP

    Ralph Wade Phillips, Jun 27, 2003
  4. Smiley

    JabberSmith Guest

    http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.hllw.purol.html )
    AVI files can contain instructions that among other things, can open web
    sites and the like. (Especially if using one of the Windows default viewer
    programs.)

    Given that information, any hack or download to a virus could easily be
    added to the file. I would not discount the potential use of AVI to spread
    viruses, though there are more effective ways.

    JabberSmith, Jun 27, 2003
  5. Smiley

    Richard Guest

    I can give any file any extension name I want.
    what would you use to open file.ggg with?
    Programs are associated with certain types of file extension but that
    doesn't mean that program will open every one of them.
    I could name the file sucker.zip and when you click on it, you get zapped
    with a virus.
    Which is precisely I run AVG constantly.

    Richard, Jun 27, 2003
  6. Smiley

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Errrrr...erm... Richard said:
    You are %100³º stupid.
    If I rename a jpg to avi, it doesn't make it a "movy" file does it.
    The original question was with regards to a legitimate avi file.

    Brian H¹©, Jun 27, 2003
  7. Smiley

    °Mike° Guest

    I don't know, but I'm having problems with mine.

    °Mike°, Jun 27, 2003
  8. Smiley

    °Mike° Guest

    What a load of nonsense.

    On Fri, 27 Jun 2003 11:37:21 -0500, in
    <>
    Richard scrawled:

    °Mike°, Jun 27, 2003
  9. Smiley

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Well....it is King Richard the Turd after all ;-)

    Brian H¹©, Jun 27, 2003
  10. Smiley

    °Mike° Guest

    You're giving turds a bad name. :)

    °Mike°, Jun 27, 2003
  11. Smiley

    °Mike° Guest

    I'm well aware that you can read the source of a web page, but
    you said that you opened the site with notepad and the code was
    executed - that's not possible.

    I would be interested to know which site you are talking about.

    °Mike°, Jun 27, 2003
  12. Smiley

    Mara Guest

    Thank you for bringing this matter to our attention.

    The Disciple code 0x29A.h-bqx-0x4.h has already been assigned to Wilfred the
    Rabid Wolverine, the Abuse Admin at QoE Ltd., who promptly attempted to eat
    same. We are pleased to report that we were able to distract him with a
    freshly-caught spammer, however.

    Just make up a code and send it in. If the SupportDesk Admin (Bjorngin the
    Highly Flatulent) likes it, it will be assigned to you. If not, Bjorngin will be
    paying you a short visit. At that point, it is our suggestion that you leave
    your home, perhaps even the country. Off-planet would probably be the best
    option.

    Sincerely,
    Flinderhnag the Unproven, SupportDesk Flunky #27
    QoE Ltd.

    Mara, Jun 27, 2003
  13. Smiley

    °Mike° Guest

    Dear SupportDesk Flunky #27,

    In typical support desk style, you have royally f$cked up; you
    have assigned *my* sig to another being. After seeking *real*
    help from a Uselessnet Newsgroop, it turns out the error I was
    experiencing was due to a mis-alignment of the two toads powering
    my CPU fan, which in turn resulted in my sig being transposed
    into Hexadecimal form. Hence, my sig was never borken in the
    first place. I demand an immediate refund of all posts from
    Wilfred the Rabid Wolverine, in addition to copious amounts of
    groveling from yourself - I will accept 637 truckloads of beer
    in lieu, should you be amenable to bribery.

    Sincerely,
    666-bqx-4

    °Mike°, Jun 27, 2003
  14. Smiley

    Mara Guest

    You expect me to come up with a paltry 637 truckloads of beer and consider that
    a decent bribe?!? Geez, what's the Evil business coming to, these days?

    "I'll consider furnishing 749 truckloads, and not a gallon less."

    Mara, Jun 28, 2003
  15. Smiley

    °Mike° Guest

    Oh yes, I might have known.

    °Mike°, Jun 28, 2003
  16. Smiley

    °Mike° Guest

    Oh, alright then.

    °Mike°, Jun 28, 2003
  17. Smiley

    MudBone Guest

    I *think* Slumpy had inadvertently posted that link, it was quite some
    time back, I *may* still have it somewhere, but yes it *still* got
    launched(?) my AV caught it as I viewed it with notepad.

    MudBone, Jun 28, 2003
  18. Smiley

    MudBone Guest

    No it *wasn't* that, this happend quite some time back.

    MudBone, Jun 28, 2003
  19. Smiley

    °Mike° Guest

    I think I remember the page now. Still, the virus did not get
    launched by viewing the source in notepad, no matter what you
    say. Your antivirus simply reported it because it was opened.
    Similarly, if I open a zip file with a virus inside, and extract
    that file to the desktop, my AV will alert me, but the virus is
    NOT executed.

    °Mike°, Jun 28, 2003
  20. Smiley

    Slumpy Guest

    threw back my head and roared with laughter as MudBone continued:
    That was the Nigerian Banking scam page, which I got scorched severly for
    ;-)

    Slumpy, Jun 28, 2003