    get used to faster framerates and then when you revert back to standard 24fps it
    becomes noticable. Some movies actually give me a headache if they have too
    many panoramic shots.

    Angry Gamer, Jul 2, 2003

  2. Grand Inquisitor, Jul 3, 2003

  3. Angry Gamer

    Angry Gamer Guest

    I'm talking about movies in a theater. It happens in DP theaters, theaters with
    curved screens, flat screens, middle of the auditorium or back. Again, it's
    only on larger sweeping shots but I can clearly make out item jerking across the
    screen. Latest example would be the Cobalt race in CA2 where the camera does
    the panoramic initial shot of the dirt track. The vertical supports of the
    bridge jerked across the scene - it didn't happen during the fast tracking shots
    during the MX race - only the slower pans.

    I really haven't noticed this at home on any DVD's or LD's. Only in theaters.

    Angry Gamer, Jul 3, 2003
  4. DP? You mean digital projection theaters? That could be your problem.
    I've been playing video games for a long time (was resistant but my
    brother got me involved), and the only flickering I've noticed was due
    to interlacing and 3:2 pulldown. Never noticed flickering in the
    theater (I only go to IMAX and 35mm theatrical releases, no digital
    theaters in my area).

    --
    "It is dark, you are likely to be eaten by a grue."
    --Zork

    Grand Inquisitor

    Grand Inquisitor, Jul 3, 2003
  5. Angry Gamer

    JFR Guest

    What you're talking about is the strobing effect created by panning the camera. Think
    of it this way:

    The camera shutter opens 24 times a second, exposing the film during a fraction of that
    time (for a shutter at 90 degrees, it would be exposed for 1/4 of 1/24 of a second; for
    180 degrees it would be 1/2 of 1/24). If you're panning too fast, each successive frame
    will be too different from the preceding one, creating that strobing, jerking effect.
    The shorter the exposure time (a fonction of the shutter angle), the sharper each frame
    and the more visible the strobing. If you increase exposure time, then the strobing
    effect is lessened (because the film is exposed for a longer time and each frame covers
    more of the motion). Then again, many cameras do not have a variable shutter angle.

    On the other hand, the strobing is gone if you move VERY fast because by then you can't
    make anything out in the frame (you only get blurry streaks).

    I find that the strobing effect is more visible on a large cinema screen that it is on
    a television. I remember noticing strobing in wide panoramic shots in LOTR:FOTR in the
    theater, but it's less noticeable on DVD.

    Ok, I'm sure I've got at least 2 or 3 factual error in the previous explanation, so no
    need to flame, but feel free to correct me.

    JF

    JFR, Jul 3, 2003
  6. Angry Gamer

    Jordan Lund Guest

    I thought it was just me... I've noticed it going back to the first
    Mummy picture. Long out-door shots with lots of people moving around
    look very muddy and blurry when the camera moves. Later, watching it
    on DVD, it looks fine. In the theater it just doesn't look right. Yes,
    I've tried new glasses and it's the same thing. :^) The battle scenes
    in the LOTR flicks have been unwatchable in the theater, again, they
    look fine on DVD.

    Gladiator though was fine in the theater as was 13th Warrior... Weird.

    - Jordan

    Jordan Lund, Jul 3, 2003
  7. Angry Gamer

    Angry Gamer Guest

    Sounds perfectly plausible but I can't figure out why I'm just now noticing it
    after 30 years of going to the movies. I was just assuming/wondering if 60fps
    video games had spoiled my eyes/perception of animation.

    Angry Gamer, Jul 4, 2003
  8. Angry Gamer

    Angry Gamer Guest

    I only see 2 DP movies a year when I go to the CHinese Theater in Hollywood
    every May. I was just saying it happens there as well as normal theaters.

    Angry Gamer, Jul 4, 2003