    one jack left coming out of that now.

    Can USB hubs like that be daisy chained? In other words, can I add another
    4 port hub now, to the last jack on this one?

    Mama Bear, Nov 25, 2006

  2. Yes.

    Blinky the Shark, Nov 25, 2006

  3. Mama Bear

    Ron Guest

    Yes providing it can power the devices being used and is not a passive one.

    Ron, Nov 25, 2006
  4. Mama Bear

    Mama Bear Guest

    I'm not sure. I bought this hub for about $8 on ebay. It has a cool blue
    LED inside a purple case and 4 jacks around it.

    Does the power get passed through these things normally, from the
    computer?

    Mama Bear, Nov 25, 2006
  5. If it has a separate power connection, it's self powered. A passive
    hub just has the USB ports. Yours doesn't sound like a self-powered
    hub.

    The Old Sourdough, Nov 26, 2006
  6. Mama Bear

    Mama Bear Guest

    How to tell?

    Mama Bear, Nov 26, 2006
  7. If you didn't get a little power adapter and cable with (usually) a
    round two-conductor plug, and all you can find are 4 identical USB
    ports, then it's a passive hub. Since you say there's an LED, and it
    (apparently) is lighting, without an external power supply, then,
    again, it's not a self-powered hub, but a passive one. It passes
    power to the connected device from the computer. The number of
    devices you can connect are limited by the amount of current that can
    be supplied.

    The Old Sourdough, Nov 26, 2006
  8. Mama Bear

    Ponder Guest

    Hiya Mama Bear.

    Yes. That's what it's designed to do.

    Ponder, Nov 26, 2006
  9. Mama Bear

    soup Guest

    Yes you can daisy chain them but a (possibly) "better" solution might be
    to add a USB card to the computer .

    Do you have a spare PCI slot? USB cards are very cheap and very easy
    to fit. Have added a card with 4 USB2 sockets (machine only had USB1.x
    sockets x4 before) four external + one internal + "jumper leads" for
    another internal one. This card cost £6~7, fitting was a matter of
    minutes and it all just worked no flaffing about, allowing in the BIOS
    or setting IRQs or anything like that . If your OS is XP a driver is
    not even required though I think I installed the driver that came with
    the card.

    soup, Nov 30, 2006
  10. Mama Bear

    Mama Bear Guest

    You're right, but why bother popping the case? I did the same thing with
    the 4 port plugin.

    Mama Bear, Dec 1, 2006
  11. Mama Bear

    soup Guest

    Because a USB card is a lot cheaper that a hub? You don't have to find
    somewhere for the hub to live? It's one cable less (running about)? A
    router takes up a port to give you (say 4) more, whilst a card just
    gives you the (4) extra (or 4+1+1 in my case)?

    soup, Dec 1, 2006
  12. Mama Bear

    soup Guest

    Deep six the "LOT cheaper", cards only seem to have pennies over
    unpowered hubs .
    One thing I did forget was that all the ports on this were USB1.x,
    something fitting a hub would have done nothing about but because I
    fitted a card I now have some USB2 sockets

    soup, Dec 1, 2006