    pretty simple to do? I don't want to come across a prompt that will say,
    load your Windows 98 CD. TIA!

    DD

    Phyllis, May 1, 2005

  2. Phyllis

    elaich Guest

    Windows XP will not run on the Dell if it is too old (i.e. not enough speed
    or RAM.)

    If the XP disc is a clean install disk rather than an upgrade disc, the
    hard drive will have to be formatted (wiped.)

    elaich, May 1, 2005

  3. Phyllis

    Ron Martell Guest

    The End User License Agreement for Windows specifically precludes the
    installation of that license on more than one computer, unless it is a
    volume licensed version in which case it may be used for whatever
    number of computers the license is for. So if your Windows XP license
    is installed on your business computer the terms of the End User
    License Agreement will preclude your installing it onto a second
    computer. The End User License Agreement for your Windows XP is
    contained in the file EULA.TXT in the c:\windows\system32 folder.

    Windows XP contains a facility knows as Product Activation which is
    intended to prevent the installation of a Windows license on more than
    one computer at the same time. So if you attempt to install it on a
    second computer, in spite of the EULA terms, you may find that you
    will have to telephone Microsoft's product activation service in order
    to activate the second install. And the telephone authorization will
    probably not be given.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    Ron Martell, May 1, 2005
  4. The Dell is the one that's running XP now, but I knew what you meant.
    Couldn't he install XP as a dual boot? Not legally of course, but
    hypothetically speaking.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, May 1, 2005
  5. Phyllis

    elaich Guest

    If he has enough disk space and enough knowhow to do it. I was wondering
    what he'd run into when XP wants to register itself.

    elaich, May 1, 2005
  6. Phyllis

    Pennywise Guest

    |>:
    |>
    |>> Couldn't he install XP as a dual boot? Not legally of course, but
    |>> hypothetically speaking.

    |>If he has enough disk space and enough knowhow to do it. I was wondering
    |>what he'd run into when XP wants to register itself.

    You just need a spare partition, boot up into 98, insert the xp disk
    and follow the prompts for a clean install...

    It will just register itself, activation - just say you reinstalled
    and hope for the best.

    Pennywise, May 1, 2005
  7. Phyllis

    Phyllis Guest

    Thanks all. This is what I wanted to know. I'm sure the license was for
    the business computer (DELL) only. I just wasn't sure if it could be reused
    for a second home computer. I'm not that computer savvy and feel it would
    be more of a problem if I tried to get around it. I think I will buy the XP
    home edition for this computer. If I currently have Windows 98, do I need
    the upgrade only to XP or full XP version? TIA

    Phyllis, May 1, 2005
  8. Phyllis

    PC Guest

    Phyllis

    Given that your old PC came with Windows 98 there is a very good chance it
    is to underpowered to run XP.
    Although the minimum spec is quite low, realistically anything below a
    600MHZ / 256MB PC would be like wading through treacle.

    You should be able to 'Upgrade' to XP from 98.

    Cheers
    Paul.

    PC, May 1, 2005
  9. Phyllis

    Phyllis Guest

    This machine was built for us. It has an AMD Athlon Processor w/256 Ram.
    Do you think this is adequate for upgrade to XP home edition? I don't want
    to upgrade if its going to be slower.

    Phyllis, May 2, 2005
  10. Phyllis

    Plato Guest

    Dell did ship with real XP cds so yes one can use it on another pc you
    will just need another ProductKey.

    Plato, May 2, 2005
  11. Phyllis

    Carol2 Guest

    Hi Phyllis........ I am running XP on a 3.5 yr. old custom built 1.3 Ghz
    machine, with 256 MB memory. It is no speed demon, by todays
    standards......but I don't find it at all sluggish. I am able to run MS
    Office, PSP7 & 8, etc.......often having 4-8 programs open at the same
    time.

    HTH,
    Carol2

    Carol2, May 2, 2005
  12. Phyllis

    Ron Martell Guest

    The newest Dell systems have complete installation CDs but they are
    "BIOS Locked" to the Dell motherboards. I have helped customers set
    up 2 of these within the past week.

    Ron Martell, May 2, 2005
  13. Phyllis

    Plato Guest

    Yes I understand I should have said Dell, in the past, shipped with real
    MS CDs on their higher end models. Then of course the bios-lock thing
    went mainstream.

    Plato, May 2, 2005