Can this be done

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Fitzy_bhoy, Sep 6, 2003.

  1. Fitzy_bhoy

    Fitzy_bhoy Guest

    This is just an idea that i have but can anyone tell me if it is practical.
    I am not very tech minded when it comes to networks so if you could just
    keep it simple please (hope that doesn;t sound rude)

    My dad has broadband and I don't. Can I dial up and access his programs, run
    them and save the contents to a folder on his disk drive and then burn them
    to cd at a later date. For example I would like to run Grabit from my
    computer, but download the lists from his server (blueyonder), and then save
    the binaries to his comp.
    Hope this makes sense. I know I could program his ip address and access the
    computer that way.
    Fitzy_bhoy, Sep 6, 2003
    1. Advertisements

  2. Fitzy_bhoy

    pcbutts1 Guest

    You can do it with XP.
    pcbutts1, Sep 6, 2003
    1. Advertisements

  3. Fitzy_bhoy

    Fitzy_bhoy Guest

    Meant to add that I have XP he has 98SE
    Fitzy_bhoy, Sep 6, 2003
  4. Fitzy_bhoy

    DC Guest

    Install Grabit on *his* computer and use TightVNC (free).
    DC, Sep 6, 2003
  5. Fitzy_bhoy

    pcbutts1 Guest

    pcbutts1, Sep 6, 2003
  6. Small point: you can't access the programs on one computer from another
    computer (except possibly for the very latest generation of software
    developed with .NET). This is because most software has key information
    stored in the "registry" (a system database) on the machine on which it is

    Main point: Sounds to me that you should network the two computers, and set
    up Internet Connection Sharing (ICS). This would enable you to surf through
    his (running) computer at broadband speeds. If he chooses to share a folder
    with you, then you could store your information on his machine (and vice

    ICS is easier to set up when the "host" computer is XP, but it can be done
    (more fiddly) the other way round.

    Here are a few links for more information:

    PS: How come Dad is stuck with W98SE while you get the XP box? He must be
    going soft.
    Philip Herlihy, Sep 6, 2003
  7. Worth adding a comment on hardware:

    You'd need to link the machines by wireless, ethernet or USB. Wireless is
    pricey (£100 +) but would allow you to have the machines in different rooms.
    If you have ethernet cards on both machines, then a single "crossover" cable
    (or a crossover adapter to convert a plain ethernet cable) will be enough.
    Can't find a crossover cable on this morning, but they have an
    adapter (code A22BA).

    I've never tried USB networking, but that's also a possibility. Maplin
    again: see product A28BF - £20).
    Philip Herlihy, Sep 6, 2003
  8. Fitzy_bhoy

    Rob Morley Guest

    As long as you don't expect to be using his machine at the same time that
    he is, otherwise you'll be fighting for control. :)
    Rob Morley, Sep 6, 2003
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.