    Z Guest

    Is it possible to remove some of the words that come included in the TB
    dictionary? (TB 1.0.2, Win XP Pro)

    Z, Jun 18, 2005

  2. Z

    Z Guest

    So, I guess the answer is no?

    Z, Jun 21, 2005

  3. Not easily, apparently.

    John Thompson, Jun 21, 2005
  4. Z

    Adrian Guest

    Okay, I don't use TB so I didn't answer.
    But you could try this; open a find box from the start menu.
    In the "named" field put *.dic
    Make sure the look in box says "my computer".
    Hit find now.
    A list of all the dictionarys should come up.
    Look for the one that is in the Mozilla folder.
    Click on this file.
    It will tell you it's too big for note pad and ask if it's okay to use
    word pad. Click OK.
    Edit the dictionary.
    Save and exit.

    Two things though.
    This will all be a bit different in XP but near enough.
    I don't know if TB has a custom dictionary or what it is called.
    If it does, you will have to find that one.
    If it's anything like seamonkey it will have,
    and it will be stored in the same folder as your profile data.
    If so this is the one to edit if you added the word in the first place.
    I don't know what it is called, but it should be easy to find and edit.

    -Adrian

    Adrian, Jun 26, 2005
  5. Z

    Doug G Guest

    Thunderbird's personal dictionary file is named persdict.dat and can be
    edited via the Check Spelling window.

    Doug G, Jun 26, 2005
  6. Z

    Z Guest

    That's the _personal_ dictionary.

    I want to remove words from the non-personal one.

    Z, Jun 27, 2005
  7. Z

    Z Guest

    Found it:
    C:\Program Files\Mozilla Thunderbird\components\myspell\en-US.dic
    (TB 1.0.2, Windows XP SP2)

    The format of the file is:

    WordCount\n
    word_1\n
    word_WordCount\n
    EOF

    It was easy to modify and it seems to be working correctly ... spell
    knows the words before and after the word I removed and has forgotten
    the word I removed.

    Some words have a postfixes - /M, /S ... I'm not sure what they mean -
    but the word I removed didn't have that.

    Thanks.

    Z, Jun 27, 2005