    a web cam. Can you please help me with this matter. I would be
    greatfull if you could.

    Thanks in advance

    marios.pafitis, Oct 3, 2005

  2. Regardless of whether or not the camera has a built in USB Web cam mode, if
    your computer has a video capture card and your camera has a coposite video
    TV-out port, you can use it as a Web cam. It's likely the image quality and
    frame rate will be better this way too.

    Ian

    Digital Photography Now
    http://dpnow.com
    Visit our discussion forum at http://dpnow.com/Forums.html

    Digital Photography Now, Oct 4, 2005

  3. Hello again and thanks for your earlier reply.

    As far as i am aware my sony dsc-p12 has a fuction A/V out port (mono)
    but i don't know how to connect with my laptop. What is a video capture
    card? how can i find out if i have one or not? Looking to my Note book
    user guide i found out that my laptop has an IEEE 1394 port that
    connects to a digital video camera. Can i buy the cable thats connects
    the laptop to the camera? what is it called?

    marios.pafitis, Oct 4, 2005
  5. marios.pafitis

    Larry Lynch Guest

    The video output on the Sony camera is for doing a "slide show to your
    television (if it has a video input).

    The IEEE 1394 port on the computer can take the output from a digital
    CAMCORDER not the output from your digicam. (it can also take the input
    from a long and wide range of "firewire" type appliances such as hard
    drives, cd/dvd burners ect.

    The video port on your camera is a "null device" while the camera is in
    "capture"(record) mode and will not function as a webcam.

    Larry Lynch
    Mystic, CT

    Larry Lynch, Oct 4, 2005
  6. Digital Photography Now, Oct 4, 2005