- Can someone tell me how to set my camera for...

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by JY, Jun 23, 2005.

  1. JY

    JY Guest

    Hi guys,

    I own a Fujifilm Finepix A340 (last year's model). It's this model here :
    http://www.megapixel.net/reviews/fuji-a340/a340-gen.php

    Being an idiot, I lost the manual almost as soon as I bought it, and have
    been clumsily using it ever since by guessing through the various menus and
    options.

    Works fine enough, even in the hands of a dumb oaf like myself. However, the
    camera seems to have a real hard time taking any shot that has the slightest
    movement in it. It blurs at almost nothing. Additionally, it can't handle
    any night shots. It needs a bright landscape or it chokes.

    Then it occurred to me.. it's probably not the camera. I'm probably just not
    using it right.

    Could someone give me a cliff's notes version of what the settings ought to
    be for night shots, as well as shots involving more movement (someone
    playing a sport, for instance). All I know is that the flower is for
    close-ups.

    Is there a webpage with this kind of info out there? Are the symbols on the
    camera universal?

    Thanks.

    JY, Jun 23, 2005

  2. JY

    Ralf Schmode Guest

    Hi, JY,

    though the question may be silly, have you tried downloading the A340
    manual from Fuji's web pages?

    http://fujifilm.com/JSP/fuji/epartn...p?dbid=711062&prodcat=710740&sscucatid=664271

    (link may be wrapped into two lines)

    Greetings from Germany - Ralf

    Ralf Schmode, Jun 23, 2005

  3. JY

    SimonLW Guest

    Open the lens cover to turn on the camera. After it starts, press the menu
    button. Press the right button to highlight the purple camera symbol. These
    are the scene modes. For action, set it to sport mode. for night shots, set
    it to the night scene mode. (not all mode show on the screen at once. You
    must scroll.)

    Try not to zoom if possible for some action shots. Zoomed in, the lens has a
    smaller max. aperture and thus, cause a slower shutter speed which causes
    more blur. Try to pan the camera with the action to help minimize blurring
    of the subject when taking the shot. Use flash if the subject is close
    enough. Turn the flash to off when the subject is beyond 15 or 20 feet.

    For night shots, set the camera as previously noted. Depending on the
    subject distance, you may want the flash off. Keep the lens set to wide
    angle (zoomed out). Due to the very long shutter speeds (possible over a
    second) you should consider using a tripod.

    -S

    SimonLW, Jun 24, 2005
  4. JY

    Brad Guest

    Turn the flash to off when the subject is beyond 15 or 20 feet.

    One of my favorite laughers is like at sporting events when all the
    flashes are going off 50 to 100 yards from the target.......I know
    some people just don't know how to turn if off but I bet a good
    percentage think it helps.

    A guy next to me at a nite football game (high school) put his camera
    away early and complained about the flash using up his batteries, I
    told him he didn't need it and he took offense immediately although I
    was very nice to him.....he said something like OK Mr. Expert why is
    the flash even there if not to light up the person you are taking
    pictures of at nite. I didn't say anything else. He also mentioned all
    the flashes you see at concerts and football games etc.......lol

    Brad

    LIFE'S JOURNEY IS NOT TO ARRIVE AT THE GRAVE SAFELY IN A
    WELL-PRESERVED BODY, BUT RATHER TO SKID IN SIDEWAYS, TOTALLY WORN OUT,
    SHOUTING... " HOLY @#$%... WHAT A RIDE!"

    Brad, Jun 25, 2005
  5. JY

    Ken Weitzel Guest

    Hi...

    Yep, I agree. The flash is really there for when you're
    taking night time pictures of the moon. Or stars :)

    Ken

    Ken Weitzel, Jun 25, 2005
  6. JY

    JPS Guest

    In message <[email protected]>,
    Don't forget to smoke, and exhale a large cloud of smoke just before
    shooting.

    JPS, Jun 25, 2005
  7. wrote:
    : In message <[email protected]>,

    : >Yep, I agree. The flash is really there for when you're
    : >taking night time pictures of the moon. Or stars :)

    : Don't forget to smoke, and exhale a large cloud of smoke just before
    : shooting.

    One of my favorite flash photos (one I saw, not one I took) was one that
    was late at night and I suspect the flash was set to red eye reduction.
    The pre flash obviously atracted a moth that then zipped past the lens
    just as the second flash went off. The moth left a ghost like gauzy blur
    across the image. Since this photo was of a "haunted house" at a theme
    park, this "ghost" was highly appropriate. :)

    Randy

    Randy Berbaum
    Champaign, IL

    Randy Berbaum, Jun 26, 2005