    position? Is this possible? Has anyone seen this before, and found a
    solution other than buying a new printer? Any help will be greatly
    appreciated.

    JW, Jun 10, 2006

  2. JW

    SgtMinor Guest

    How old are the cartridges in the printer?

    http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=SupportDetailAct&fcategoryid=230&modelid=6747

    SgtMinor, Jun 10, 2006

  3. JW

    JANA Guest

    Make sure that the cartridges are new ones. Refilled cartridges can also
    give problems in these printers. If it is not the cartridges, it is possible
    that the nozzles may be clogged, or not working properly. The electronics
    that drives the nozzles can also have a failure.

    As for the type of printer you have, if it is out of warranty, it would not
    be a good idea of investing much money in to it.

    --

    JANA
    _____

    I have a Canon 4400 bubble jet printer and until recently, had no
    problems. I have had it several years, but don't use it that often,
    maybe 1 page a week on average. I started noticing lines running
    across the page, or more correctly, a lack of lines. I cleaned the
    heads countless times, changed cartridges, went through all the
    troubleshooting steps (no help from the Canon people). It prints a
    perfect line of text and then the following line seems to be faded.
    This alternates the length of the page. It actually looks as though
    one of the feed rollers is smudging every other line. I adjusted the
    paper thickness control, but to no avail. Perhaps it has shifted its'

    JANA, Jun 10, 2006
  4. JW

    JW Guest

    Sorry, I thought I made it clear. The printer prints one line perfect,
    the next is faded, the next perfect, etc., This alternated the length
    of the page. The text that is printed is dark and readable. The faded
    lines look like something rolled over them while the ink was still
    wet, hence my concern about the rollers. The cartridges are not new,
    but my contention is that if every other line prints perfectly, then
    the cartridges are not the problem. A software glitch is something I
    had not thought about. I suppose I could get a new printer, but this
    is a puzzle and I don't like puzzles.

    JW, Jun 10, 2006
  5. JW

    phrogee Guest

    I've had printers with a felt-like wiper where the print heads rest. They
    get frayed and leave little threads on the print heads and cause the exact
    symptoms you are describing. If yours has one, trim it flat with scissors or
    a scalpel. I'm sure it would be under the cover. BUT, it wasn't a Cannon.

    phrogee, Jun 10, 2006
  6. JW

    pcbutts1 Guest

    pcbutts1, Jun 10, 2006