Can someone please explain what service packs are available for XP Professional 64 bit?

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Anoxia, Feb 27, 2007.

  1. Anoxia

    Anoxia Guest

    I am sorry for the basic question... I am not that familiar with the
    64 bit versions of Windows. But I am in a situation where I need to
    buy and install Windows XP Professional 64 bit edition, and I am
    totally lost when it comes to service packs.

    According to microsoft.com, there doesn't seem to be any service packs
    at all for it. There's SP1 and SP2 for "Windows XP", but nothing for
    "Windows XP 64 bit".

    I see there is a SP1 available for Windows Server 2003, but that isn't
    the same thing as Windows XP 64 bit... is it?

    Microsoft's website makes this very unclear... for example, if I go
    here:

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/64bit/default.mspx

    Then I click the "Downloads," "Software Updates" menu, I'm brought
    here:

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/updates/default.mspx

    This makes it seem like the standard Windows XP Service Pack 2 disc is
    what I would need.

    There's this Amazon link:

    http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Win..._bbs_2/102-1751942-9932939?ie=UTF8&s=software

    ....which says "Microsoft Windows XP Pro X64 Edition SP2B". What's
    SP2B?

    What specific service packs have been released for Windows XP 64 bit,
    what are they called, and how and where do I get them?

    Anoxia, Feb 27, 2007

  2. Anoxia

    Theo Guest

    Windows XP Professional x64 was released at the Service Pack
    1 (SP1) level, but this SP1 is not related to Windows XP
    (32-bit). The Windows XP x64 base is Windows Server 2003,
    not Windows XP 32-bit, and that is the OS the SP1 refers to.
    There are both 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Windows
    Server 2003. There is a Windows Server 2003 SP2 (both
    32-bit and 64-bit) that is currently in the final testing
    stages and is expected be released later this year.

    Theo, Feb 27, 2007

  3. Anoxia

    Guest Guest

    Guest, Feb 27, 2007
  4. Anoxia

    Modern Meta Guest

    Thanks Theo very much for the help, I really appreciate it.

    Just to clarify... you're saying that the *only* release of Windows XP
    x64 is SP1... there wasn't a "non" SP1 version released before that...
    right? :)

    Thanks again!

    Modern Meta, Feb 27, 2007
  5. Anoxia