Can someone please assist with networking 2 pcs without a damn internet connection?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by richard, Jun 8, 2007.

  1. richard

    richard Guest

    As stated earlier I have been able to setup a network between 2 pcs
    using windows xp HOME. However, the only way I can get file sharing to
    work is when I am connected to the internet.

    I do not wish to be connected to the internet in order to simply
    transfer files between the two.

    I have checked out numerous websites on the subject and they all wind
    up with a fly in the ointment. That being, I will assume, they are
    saying the instructions for the "pro" edition and the "home" edition
    are the same. Obviously not as I do not see certain tabs they say to
    click on.

    I followed several sites instructions and always ran into a snag.

    On the one laptop, I set it up exactly the same way as I did the
    first. Then when I want to connect, the dial-up dialog box shows and I
    do not want it to dial nothing. I even unchecked using dial-up and it
    still wants to dial.

    Evan Platt, please refrain from making any comments. You're never any
    help anyways.

    Plato's sites were totally useless.

    Anyone got a decent website that explains the networking setup for
    windows xp home specifically?

    Thanks.

    richard, Jun 8, 2007

  2. richard

    Evan Platt Guest

    Well, I guess if there's an expert on not being any help, it's a
    google grouper.
    Yeah I do, but ... oh well, you don't want my help.

    Considering you're posting via Google Groups, good luck. Most of the
    regulars here automatically killfile posts from GG. If you seriously
    want help, find another way to access Usenet.

    Evan Platt, Jun 8, 2007

  3. richard

    Pennywise Guest

    Cause you want to play Doom?

    I use directplay If I have problems setting up a crossover network

    Start | Run <type in>
    DXDIAG
    <enter>
    On both, network tab and send messages back and forth, find out why it
    doesn't work if you can't.

    Odd way of doing it, but it works for me.

    Pennywise, Jun 8, 2007
  4. richard

    richard Guest

    Just after I posted the message I tried it again and this time I got
    the two pc's communicating with no internet connection.
    It's all in the matter of selecting the proper checkboxes and using
    "incoming connections".
    Tried it offline and it works. We'll see what happens when I shut down
    and boot up again.

    richard, Jun 8, 2007
  5. richard

    why? Guest

    On Thu, 07 Jun 2007 19:22:57 -0700, richard wrote:

    You had to start a new thread why?
    A crossover cable as you mentioned isn't an internet connection, by
    definition a crossover only allows 2 devices to be connected together,

    How does the internet bit come into it? You didn't mention this before.
    If you have an internet connection with some box from the ISP and a
    router. It's the router that gices you a local area network LAN and the
    internet at the same time.
    Well post the URLs and point out where the snag was. If some dialog box
    is missing you didn't say what tabs, it may be the TCP/IP or NIC tabs.
    The crystal ball is in for a repair just no so that option isn't
    available.
    In that case is your internet connection dialup?

    If you used a crossover earlier, then you have network cards. Can't you
    just select / or cancel dial up when starting?

    So when it's working what are the IP addresses of the PCs?

    It may be the case XP Home doesn't have some of the features of Win 2000
    Pro / XP Pro. 1 of those is handy for home networking. When the PCs
    can't find a server to automatically get an IP address from those
    versions of Windows will automatically generate an IP address, see -
    http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/A/APIPA.html
    Multiple Win 2000/Win XP Pro PCs will talk to each other so they don't
    get the same address.

    Would have thought this was still there. As long as the PCs are
    connected, the network card driver is okay and TCP/IP is enabled, DHCP
    and Automatic configuration is ticked then Win XP will sort it out for
    you.
    They aren't Plato's sites, it was a list of sites from previous posts in
    24HSHD as stated. Those are very common and oftem repeated links for
    home networking.

    http://www.wown.com/
    http://www.practicallynetworked.com/

    Since you didn't mention what tabs are missing your post is totally
    useless.
    Don't know you would have to check the list of links posted earlier.
    Me

    why?, Jun 8, 2007