    1,000 on a printer that prints awlsome black and white. the biggest size
    14x20 thanks

    janet

    venus6152, Aug 6, 2005

  2. Janet-

    You might post to comp.periphs.printers with more detail as to your
    input (camera, scanner, someone else's images etc,) and your computer
    set up. what you want to print on.... paper, canvas, and type of either.

    John McWilliams, Aug 6, 2005

  3. Two possible printers are the Epson 2400 (it's maximum width is 13", though)
    or the Epson 4800 (it maximum width is 17", but it's cost is more than
    $1000). The Epson are pigment based (for long life) and have three shades
    of black ink for better tone gradients.

    James

    James Akiyama, Aug 7, 2005
  4. venus6152

    venus6152 Guest

    Thanks for info

    venus6152, Aug 7, 2005
  5. venus6152

    C Wright Guest

    I'll second the recommendations regarding the two new Epson models as being
    extremely capable at producing B&W. But, the OP is not going to find _any_
    printer that will do 14x20 size for under $1000! The Canon i9900 will do a
    fair job on greyscale but it, like the Epson 2400, has a width limit of 13
    in. The Epson 4800 will cost closer to $2000 than $1000. Over a long
    period of time the extra cost of the 4800 might be recovered to a degree
    because it uses much larger and more economical 110ml or 220ml ink tanks.
    Chuck

    C Wright, Aug 7, 2005
  6. venus6152

    SteveJ Guest

    Has anyone else found out that the Canon I9900 or other series of their
    printers print much better B&W prints when the paper selection is selected
    to plain paper, It seems to make the Black ink the only used cartage in this
    mode, no mixing colors to make B&W prints.

    SteveJ, Aug 7, 2005
  7. venus6152

    Bill Hilton Guest

    janet writes ...
    There are a couple of good solutions that print up to 13x19" for under
    $1,000. One is the Epson 2400, the other is one of the HP models that
    has a special black cart, I dunno the model # and I'm not sure if it
    goes to 13x19". You could also look at getting a cheaper printer like
    the 1280 and adding the quadtone or hextone black inks, but this means
    it's no longer a color printer.

    To print 14x20" I'd recommend the Epson 4000 or 4800, which print
    17x22" sheets or longer on rolls, but these are closer to $1,900 (for
    the 4800). Most power users feel you'll get better b/w images on these
    using a RIP instead of the Epson drivers but that's another several
    hundred bucks.

    I have a 4000 and have printed some decent black-white images on it
    (without a RIP), but I've personally never seen an inkjet b/w print
    that looked as good as a really well-done silver print so don't get
    your hopes up too high, if you've spent much time in the darkroom.

    Bill

    Bill Hilton, Aug 7, 2005
  8. venus6152

    Hunt Guest

    Yes, great reports on B/W from the earlier Epson 2000's, which can be had for
    your budget, while the 2400's are just over. For your size, the 4800's (or
    earlier 4000's) would be just over, with the current 4800's going for nearly
    double.

    Hunt

    Hunt, Aug 7, 2005
  9. It's going to cost more than a 1000 (dollars?) for a printer to do that
    size. And to get really good b&w prints, you're going to have to
    abandon the color inks and go to quad or hextone printing using
    "greyscale" inks only. (And the related software to interpolate.) Have
    you considered having a digital printing service do your large prints, and
    just buying a small, but good, printer for proofing the large prints? This
    is what a friend of mine did a couple years ago, but for color.

    He got an Epson 1280 and the software/hardware necessary to make his own
    printer profiles, then calibrated his monitor and scanners, and generated
    profiles on both the 1280 and each one of the printers at the lab he used.
    Worked great! When he wanted to do a 16x20 (or whatever), he did the work
    on his home computer, proofed it on the 1280, and if it was to his liking,
    burned the image file to a CD and took it to the lab for the final output.
    For all practical purposes, the prints were identical in color balance and
    contrast. Of course, they were EXACTLY identical; the 8x10 proof was an
    inkjet print and the final one was on real photographic paper. But his
    system worked very well and he didn't have to invest $4000 to get a large
    format inkjet printer to do 20x30s or 30x40s or whatever.

    Stefan

    stefan patric, Aug 7, 2005