    card reader. Can it be repaired? Where? (I see Olympus sells, on their Ebay
    site, what they call refurbished xd cards. Are they really?)
    rjf

    Bob Fusillo, Aug 16, 2004

  2. Google for the information but yes...in some cases using some readers with
    the right software. Its been a long while since I had to do it so the memory
    of details is gone...but there are some readers that, with software
    downloaded from their site, can low-level format a SmartMedia card.

    Gene Palmiter, Aug 16, 2004

  3. and the reader is called Zio - I have repaired lots.

    B.Pedersen Latitude -31,48.21 Longitude115,47.40 Time=GMT+8.00
    If you are curious look here http://www.mapquest.com/maps/latlong.adp
    http://www.members.iinet.net.au/~borge

    nesredep egrob, Aug 17, 2004
  4. That will do...but since I have never owned a Zio there must be at least one
    other.

    Gene Palmiter, Aug 17, 2004
  5. When I put in the Smart Media card the camera does nothing but blink "81"
    From an earlier post of mine (which refers to recovering photos off the
    card; one of the other posters here mentions using the Zio card reader, with
    formatting utility, to repair a dead one)-

    I had a SmartMedia card "go bad" on me on a recent trip to France, after
    having taken quite a number of photos I really didn't want to have go away.
    I had another smaller backup card which I used, thinking that maybe, when I
    got home, I might be able to recover the images on the card that went bad.

    I should mention that the "bad" card, when inserted into the camera, said it
    needed to be formatted.

    Tonight I did a quick Google search and came upon something called "Zero
    Assumption Recovery" utility, and gave it a try. Voila, even though my
    desktop computer also said the card required formatting, this utility read
    everything on the card and offloaded it to a file on my hard drive. Life is
    good!

    Please note this utility should work well on any type of memory card that
    can be seen as a drive on your computer (SmartMedia, MMC, CF, etc).
    Basically, anything you have a card reader for.

    This is freeware, by the way, although you can buy a more-capable version
    for $99. But for my case, the freeware utility did everything I needed. It
    may be found here-

    http://www.z-a-recovery.com/download.htm

    Hope this is helpful to others!

    (For google purposes, I'm going to toss some stuff in here that might help
    others to find this message, since I've seen many others looking for
    something like this in the past-)

    Smartmedia utility
    Corrupt smartmedia
    Smartmedia file recovery

    --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
    www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

    Mike Jacoubowsky, Aug 17, 2004
  6. Thanks, useful info. I'll bookmark it for the future.

    Mike O'sullivan, Aug 17, 2004
  7. Bob Fusillo

    Bob Fusillo Guest

    Bob Fusillo, Aug 17, 2004
  8. Bob Fusillo

    Bob Fusillo Guest

    Thanks for the thoughts. But no one seems to address my question -- all the
    advice is about recovering files. I want to know if an apparently damaged
    card can be repaired for future use.
    rjf

    Bob Fusillo, Aug 17, 2004
  9. Vidar Grønvold, Aug 17, 2004
  10. It can be done if you have a Hex Editor and some fundamental knowledge which
    will make it usefull. If so, I have a set of zip files that I have generated
    from my cards and removed from the internet as it seemed that they were never
    used - at least I never got a thank you from anyone.

    If I get to know the size of the card I can email a zip file which will unzip to
    become the content of a card - you then use the HexEditor to write the
    information to the card.

    nesredep egrob, Aug 18, 2004
  11. Bob Fusillo

    Bob Fusillo Guest

    It is a 128mb Smart Card. Neither the camera nor the reader will respond to
    it in any way. The computer shows it as not there, the camera crashes when I
    try to format it. If it will not read at all, I cannot see how any prg. will
    be able to do anything with it. But I would be grateful for any attempt to
    help.
    rjf

    Bob Fusillo, Aug 18, 2004
  12. Bob Fusillo

    Dave Arbok Guest

    Since you mention that you do not want to recover files but only want
    to have the card work again, it seemed like you might want to consider
    that most manufacturers of SM cards offer a several year or lifetime
    warranty, and all it should cost is $.60 or so in postage to mail it
    back to them.

    Another thing to try, since SM cards have exposed contacts, is to rub
    over the gold surface with a pencil eraser.

    Dave Arbok, Aug 18, 2004
  13. Bob Fusillo

    Bob Fusillo Guest

    Thanks -- did try the eraser -- no help. I have contacted Lexar -- no reply.
    Sigh!
    rjf

    Bob Fusillo, Aug 18, 2004
  14. Your card may be physically damaged by repeated bending and then
    there will be nothing that can be done.
    You could mail it to somebody with the card reader than can do
    low level formatting.

    Vidar Grønvold, Aug 18, 2004
  15. Bob Fusillo

    Dave Arbok Guest

    There are rumors that the program at this website, Flashdoctor.exe
    http://www.z-tek.com.cn/en/first/download.htm
    offers a point and click method of repairing some troubled Smartmedia
    cards.
    It will only work with some brands of usb readers, but there is a
    chance.
    Also, some people say that smprep, perhaps modified with a hex editor,
    can fix
    troubled cards, depending on the driver and brand of your usb reader.
    People seem to say that even if windows and the camera don't recognize
    the card at all, that this still can work. Worth a try, but you could
    also keep after Lexar, I believe they do have a warranty.

    Dave Arbok, Aug 18, 2004
  16. Bob Fusillo

    Bob Fusillo Guest

    Interim report
    San Disk appears to be puzzled. I have written them a thorough run-down
    of the symptoms, and they want even more info, including where I bought it,
    which seems to have nothing to do with the case.
    rjf

    Bob Fusillo, Aug 19, 2004
  17. Bob Fusillo

    Jerry G. Guest

    To my knowledge, the actual memory unit is built in a moulded substrate. I
    cannot see how this can be repaired.

    If the card is under warranty, and it stops working properly, you can call
    the manufacture. They will ask you to send them back the card for exchange.
    They may call it repair, but I doubt they can repair this. If they see that
    the card has not been abused by bending, forcing, getting it wet, or
    mishandling it in some way, they will give you a new one.

    --

    Jerry G.

    Jerry G., Aug 19, 2004