    adjacent pixels on separate sheets...are printers (such as the epson
    r800) capable of this?

    Thanks for any replies.

    Kent Rendell, May 27, 2004

  2. Kent Rendell

    YoYo Guest

    Yes its possible,
    Some Canon printers come with a program to do such.

    How big you want it?

    YoYo, May 28, 2004

  3. Kent Rendell

    Kent Rendell Guest

    Well, I'm thinking twice poster-sized, and had wanted to try a
    technique I had hypothesized where I would use panoramic tools not to
    make a panorama, but to increase apparent resolution by stitching
    together several medium-resolution digital shots to make one very high
    resolution shot. But it turns out that many other people are doing
    this already:

    http://www.imaging-resource.com/NEWS/1070414103.html

    I wouldn't be interested in going quite that big, but the concept is
    fascinating to me, and the results are stunning:

    example image: http://tinyurl.com/26hl5
    image components: http://tinyurl.com/2lqld

    He's essentially using a little 5mp camera to generate images as sharp
    as an 8x10" view camera can create...cool, huh?

    But rather than have to pay a fortune sending the files to a lab with
    a wide-carriage printer, I'd like to just build them a sheet at a time
    with a letter-sized unit.

    I know the results won't be perfect, but if anyone has tried this, I'd
    love to know if the result is decent or awful.

    Thanks.

    Kent Rendell, May 28, 2004
  4. Kent Rendell

    YoYo Guest

    It would be decent from a distance ex. billboard

    Give it a try, good luck

    YoYo, May 29, 2004
  5. BTDT, it does work!

    I've actually written a perl script (panoprint.pl) that takes an input
    image and prints it on multiple sheets (specified as NxM on the command
    line), with a little (at least 5 mm and/or 40 pixels) overlap in both
    directions.

    I then take these images, one row at a time, and glue them together.

    The way to do this with perfect registration is to first cut off one
    side of the second sheet, so you get into the overlap region, then lay
    it on top of the first sheet so that it matches up.

    I then tape the edges together so that they will stay like this, and
    then use a very sharp knife (scalpel) to cut through both the top and
    bottom sheet at the same time. After removing the cut-off parts, the two
    sheets will match up perfectly, and can be taped together on the back side.

    Terje

    Terje Mathisen, Jun 1, 2004
  6. Kent Rendell

    Carl Valle Guest

    If you don't already have a printer, you might want to try a 13x19 like the
    canon i9900
    four sheets would maybe do what you want to do.
    i did it with a group of 2x2 prints 16 wide by 16 high to make a mosiac.
    That of course isn't what you are talking about... mine were all different
    images, a time lapse sequence.. but it looked nice

    Carl

    Carl Valle, Jun 8, 2004
  7. Kent Rendell

    Tony Spadaro Guest