    determine if I was stealing anything. I guess the device outputted some sort
    of magnetic field. My question is this: would a magnetic field be harmful to
    either DVDs or electronic items such as vacuum cleaners?

    curious, Feb 22, 2005

  2. curious

    jayembee Guest

    No.

    -- jayembee

    jayembee, Feb 22, 2005

  3. curious

    Bill Turner Guest

    DVDs are purely optical devices and are unaffected by magnetic fields.
    Your vacuum cleaner has magnetic parts but to be damaged the magnetic
    field would have to be so powerful as to actually bend something... not
    going to happen from a security device.

    Bill Turner, Feb 22, 2005
  4. curious

    Jerry G. Guest

    DVD and CD disks are purely optical devices. You can run these through an
    MRI, and they will still play very well.

    The bottom line is a big NO for harming DVD's and CD disks with a magnetic
    field.

    --

    Jerry G.
    ======

    A few days ago I was at Best Buy and bought a couple of DVDs and a vacuum
    cleaner. The security guy at the exit had this large handheld device, and
    he
    rubbed it around my DVDs and then rubbed it on just one part of the box that
    the vacuum cleaner was in. So he was either using the device to deactivate
    any security tags on my DVDs and vacuum cleaner, or using the device to

    Jerry G., Feb 22, 2005
  5. curious

    curious Guest

    But the magnetic field could also induce current in the vacuum's electronic
    components... would that be harmful to the vacuum at all?

    curious, Feb 23, 2005
  6. curious

    Camper Guest

    Ask the vacuum cleaner!

    Camper, Feb 23, 2005
  7. curious

    Bill Turner Guest

    I've never heard of electronic components being harmed by a magnetic
    field. Electric fields, yes, but not magnetic. I think the field would
    have to be enormously strong to cause harm.

    The only kinds of devices which could be harmed by magnetic fields are
    ones that are magnetic-based themselves, such as floppy disks. Don't
    worry about it.

    Bill Turner, Feb 23, 2005
  8. curious

    Jon Purkey Guest

    TVs and computer monitor screens can be damaged too. Degaussing will
    usually fix it, but not always.

    -
    -Jon Purkey - <)

    Jon Purkey, Feb 23, 2005
  9. curious

    Bill Turner Guest

    If the built in degausser doesn't fix it, find an old time TV technician
    and have him dig out his manual degausser. One of those will degauss
    anything.

    Bill Turner, Feb 24, 2005
  10. curious

    Terry Guest

    Agree:
    But keep magnetic fields away from the magnetic stripe on your bank/credit
    cards!
    One guy laid his credit card on top of a hardware store check out security
    tag cancellation device and the card got 'wiped'!

    Terry, Feb 25, 2005
  11. curious

    curious Guest

    Yeah I read that the magnetic field generated by an MRI could damage
    electronic devices, so I was just wondering if it is possible that a weaker
    one could also do some damage.

    BTW, when you say "electric field", do you just mean static electricity?

    curious, Feb 26, 2005
  12. curious

    Bill Turner Guest

    An electric field can be either static or dynamic. Any time you have
    voltages of opposite polarity present, there is a field between them.

    Bill Turner, Feb 27, 2005
  13. curious

    curious Guest

    Thanks for your answers, everyone.