    normally happens or have I been unlucky.

    cheers,

    chris

    chrisj, Nov 24, 2004

  2. chrisj

    Duane Arnold Guest

    I don't know but it seems like you have killed the thing based on your
    detailed explanation of the events that lead to the unit's demise. However,
    I could be wrong.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Nov 24, 2004

  3. chrisj

    Nik Schlein Guest

    I don't know how old the computer is but the BIOS should check for the IDE
    cable to be plugged in right. It does for Floppy drivers. And if the cable
    is not fully plugged in it also will no run. What I would do is get another
    IDE cable and try that. I bet you the cable is bad, plus it has to be old if
    it didn't have the notched side to idiot proof the plugging in process.

    Nik Schlein, Nov 24, 2004
  4. chrisj

    Stevo Guest

    The 2.5 HDD (Laptop type) drives have power provided through the one
    connector, so plugging it in the wrong way round is likely to do 'some'
    damage...

    Stevo, Nov 24, 2004
  5. chrisj

    Conor Guest

    It can screw it on a 2.5" HDD because unlike a normal IDE interface on
    3,5" drives/CDROMs etc, power for the drive is supplied through the IDE
    interface.

    In short, you killed it.

    --
    Conor

    Greedo shot first. Greedo ALWAYS shot first. You did not see Solo shoot
    first.
    It never happened. Never, ever. Not in any version. Remember: Greedo
    shot first.

    Conor, Nov 24, 2004
  6. chrisj

    Plato Guest

    Plugging in a data cable wrong does not toast the hard drive. However,
    if you bent or broke a pin or so while doing so you may have pharked it.

    www.bootdisk.com

    Plato, Nov 25, 2004
  7. chrisj

    opala

    Joined:
    Oct 25, 2008
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Sorry if this is old, but it still regards for today.

    I did the same thing with my old 3.5" about a year ago, and although that one pin is jammed in (not all the way), the HDD still works without a problem...
    anyone else did this? did you kill your hdd?

    opala, Oct 25, 2008