Can only share files or print one way using 2 XP machines

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by J Tinsby, Jan 21, 2010.

  1. J Tinsby

    J Tinsby Guest

    Helllo,

    I hope someone can help me with this? I wanted to be able to use one
    printer for 2 XP machines one using XP Pro and the other XP Home. I am
    using a wireless network.

    I cannot ping the Home machine from the Pro, but I can send files to
    the Pro's printer. I can also share files from the Pro to the Home but
    not vice-versa. Oddly enough I can't ping the Pro from the Home but I
    can send files from the Home to the Pro. Both XP firewalls are off but
    the OnLine Armor ones aren't and I see no way to set them to accept
    new IP addresses, but both machines firewalls do show the others IP
    addresses.

    I can see the name of the Home machine in the Pro, but when I try to
    access it is says the standard " You may not have permission blah
    blah.... the server \\ could not be found on the network.

    It would seem to me that I should be able to share files back and
    forth over the network but no matter what I do I can't seem to get it.

    Thanks in advance for any help.

    Tinsby

    J Tinsby, Jan 21, 2010

  2. Hi
    These are signs of Firewall blocking interconnections ports.
    I would disconnect temp. from the Internet and disable the Armor.
    If it then works, either Armor support can help, or use something else that
    is easily configured.
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

    Jack [MVP-Networking], Jan 22, 2010