  1. john63401

    john63401 Guest

    Can they?

    john63401, Sep 12, 2003

  2. Yes.

    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Frisbee=AE_MCNGP?=, Sep 12, 2003

  3. Conversely I don't think you can be a good windows programmer without also
    being an MCSE.
    Glenn MCNGP #16

    Glenn D. Crosse, Sep 12, 2003
  4. john63401

    Dragon Guest

    Yes and No.

    A Network admin does not need to know much about programming but it sure
    helps if they at least know some of the common concepts. Scripting and basic
    programming is getting more and more common in the networking world.

    Dragon, Sep 12, 2003
  5. john63401

    CheeseBurger Guest

    You really need to know Windows Scripting Host thou Microsoft wont test you
    on it.

    CheeseBurger, Sep 12, 2003
  6. If you can't do some basic scripting, you better have a great pair of
    running shoes and very fast typing skills.

    Also, having a good concept of programming will help you if your ever part
    of a design team creating any sort of application or if you're ever in
    management.

    But no you don't have to be a programmer. Realistically there are too many
    areas of specialization within just the MCSE field, only a few of which MS
    has actually recognized like security and messaging. You'd have to be a
    really exceptional individual to tackle both the MCSE and MCSD.

    Jonathan DeMersseman, Sep 12, 2003
  7. john63401

    Guest Guest

    I don't see why not. I mean as long as you know what can
    be done, you dont need to know how to do it. After all
    what good would outsourcing be if no one ever used it?

    We are not developers, we are admins. I became an admin
    because, I for one, hate writing code.

    Anyone else agree?

    Guest, Sep 12, 2003
  8. john63401

    Dragon Guest

    I would agree that you don't need to be a full blown application Architect
    to be a Net Admin, but if you seriously look at how the Net Admin jobs are
    evolving,,, you should know how the programming loops work, what is
    if-then-else statement and what is this thing called variable. For example,
    if you want anything useful done with Active Directory, it might be nice to
    be able to write some decent scripts. The line between a basic programmer
    and a Net Admin is very blurred when you talk about Code or not to code.

    Dragon, Sep 12, 2003
  9. john63401

    Herb Martin Guest

    Yes but it is harder; it's more work; and you will not be a true
    professional until you learn some basic programming.

    Doesn't mean one cannot do the job nor say anything bad about
    such an admin, unless he chooses to stay ignorant.

    Herb Martin, Sep 13, 2003
  10. Heck I know some network administrators who don't know anything about
    administrating networks.

    RL Coppedge, MCSE, Sep 13, 2003
  11. john63401

    john63401 Guest

    If you can't do some basic scripting, you better have a great pair of
    Please explain ok?

    john63401, Sep 15, 2003
  12. john63401

    john63401 Guest

    Heck I know some network administrators who don't know anything about
    Hahaha!

    That made me laugh... thanks!

    john63401, Sep 15, 2003
  13. john63401

    Consultant Guest

    it's not funny, it's true, way too often

    Consultant, Sep 15, 2003
  14. Yeah, but laughing sure beats crying.

    RL Coppedge, MCSE, Sep 15, 2003
  15. john63401

    Consultant Guest

    indeed

    Consultant, Sep 15, 2003
  16. john63401

    Dragon Guest

    Unless you are crying because you laughed too much...

    Dragon, Sep 15, 2003