    tried adding the printer via the "add printer" still nothing. Can anyone
    tell me what I'm doing wrong.

    thank you

    Guest, Jun 23, 2005

  2. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Do you have file & printer sharing enabled? Did you share the printer as well
    as individual files on the network? XP requires you to share individual files
    & printers by right clicking on each and selecting Sharing & security. Look
    up 'Share printer' in Help to see what steps you missed. Make sure the
    connected computer & printer are both on.

    Guest, Jun 23, 2005

  3. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Hi Mary,

    Thank you for responding. I do have file and printer sharing enabled on
    both computer. I can get the two windows home versions to see each other and
    share printers but I can't get the xp and the home to see each other.

    Guest, Jun 25, 2005
  4. Guest

    Guest Guest

    I had exactly the same issue.
    I never really solved it "properly" as such, but found a work around on my
    system.
    The computer sharing was on XP Home, the one trying to access was XP Pro.
    Everytime i tried to browse to the printer, it would come up access denied.
    I tried typing the location of the printer (\\computername\printername)
    directly into the add network printer box when it asks for the location, and
    it worked!

    Guest, Jun 25, 2005
  5. Guest

    Chuck Guest

    On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 16:45:02 -0700, "Dorothy Napier" <Dorothy
    Dorothy,

    This problem comes up frequently in Windows Networking. It is most frequently
    caused by one of two possible problems - a browser conflict, and a misconfigured
    or overlooked firewall.

    Check for a browser conflict using browstat, run on both computers.
    <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/browstat-utility-from-microsoft.html#Error53>

    Look for misconfigured or overlooked firewalls.
    <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/your-personal-firewall-can-either-help.html>

    General troubleshooting for Network Neighborhood problems.
    <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/troubleshooting-network-neighborhood.html>

    --
    Cheers,
    Chuck

    Chuck, Jun 26, 2005
  6. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Chuck,

    Thank you for your response but it made no sense to me,neither did the
    articles you sent me to. Why is xp so difficult to use?

    Guest, Jun 27, 2005
  7. Guest

    Chuck Guest

    [/QUOTE]
    Dorothy,

    You do have to have a small amount of technical background to work on Windows
    XP. There are many reasons why XP is so difficult to use. One is that Windows
    XP is supposed to be the merge between the Windows 9x operating systems and the
    Windows NT operating systems. In making it interoperable with both, it becomes
    difficult with either.

    That said, I'll try to help you with your problem, but you'll have to work with
    me.

    Let's start with the browser issue. See if you can run "browstat status" on
    both computers.
    # Type "ipconfig /all >c:\ipconfig.txt" (less the "") into a command window.
    # Open Notepad, and make sure that Format - Word Wrap is NOT checked!.
    # Open file c:\ipconfig.txt from Notepad.
    # Copy and paste entire contents of the file into your next message.

    Do you know how to open a command window?
    # Hit the Start button.
    # Hit the Run selection.
    # Type "cmd" into the Run window (less the ""), and hit Enter.
    # Now type whatever you need, at the command prompt in the window that just
    opened, and close the window when convenient.

    --
    Cheers,
    Chuck

    Chuck, Jun 27, 2005
  8. Guest

    Guest Guest

    on the laptop which is running xp Pro:
    Windows IP Configuration

    Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : toshibaden

    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :

    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

    Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Toshiba Wireless LAN Mini PCI Card

    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-02-2D-87-79-04

    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

    205.152.144.23

    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Monday, June 27, 2005 1:52:42 PM

    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Monday, August 08, 2005 5:52:42 AM

    Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network
    Connection

    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-39-C4-FA-F3

    on the desktop that is running xp home:

    Windows IP Configuration

    Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : DEN

    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :

    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

    Ethernet adapter mshome:

    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : VIA Rhine III Fast Ethernet
    Adapter

    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-11-09-6F-56-05

    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

    205.152.144.23

    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Monday, June 27, 2005 6:14:00 PM

    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, June 28, 2005 6:14:00 PM

    Guest, Jun 28, 2005
  9. Guest

    Guest Guest

    when we run the browstat status, on the laptop I get: browins is active on
    domain, but on the desktop I get: Master name can not be deteremined from
    getadapter status. using\\den master browser is running build 2600.
    According to what I've read, my computers are trying to both be the boss?
    LOL!!! and gee here I thought I was the boss!

    Guest, Jun 28, 2005
  10. Guest

    Chuck Guest

    Dorothy,

    The computers let us think that we're the boss. Silly humans.

    OK, back to business. How many computers do you have?
    What is "the XP"? Do you have 2 XP Home and 1 XP Pro? Is the XP using Simple
    or Advanced File Sharing? Are they running XP SP2, or pre-SP2?

    What personal firewalls do you have on each computer? Antivirus products?

    Can you provide "browstat status" and "ipconfig /all", unedited and
    unabbreviated, for all 3 computers? And please describe operating system, as
    asked above, for each computer. All of these questions are relevant, and are
    necessary to help reach a diagnosis of your problem.

    --
    Cheers,
    Chuck

    Chuck, Jun 28, 2005
  11. Guest

    Chuck Guest

    Dorothy,

    Well, here's a start.
    Those 2 computers are on different subnets. Big problem.

    Now we need to step back and have you describe how everything is cabled. Things
    like the browser, and name resolution, on small networks, work best with
    everything on the same subnet.

    --
    Cheers,
    Chuck

    Chuck, Jun 28, 2005
  12. Guest

    Chuck Guest

    Dorothy,

    OK, I just looked at the "ipconfig /all" and the light in my head finally lit.
    You have 2 routers, one connected to the desktop, and the second connected to
    the laptops? Please read this article, and tell me if it sounds like you:
    <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/06/file-sharing-on-lan-with-two-routers.html>

    --
    Cheers,
    Chuck

    Chuck, Jun 28, 2005
  13. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Hi Chuck and Dorothy,
    I just saw your posting from 6/27/05. I have exactly the same problems as
    Dorothy had/had? with my XP Home and XP Pro wireless network. I can't get XP
    Pro to print/share resources on my XP Home network. I'll try your
    recommendations Chuck and see if they work for me. If not...I may be back in
    touch. Thanks all.
    Andy

    Guest, Jul 10, 2005