Can not copy "My Music" folder to backup RW.

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by PC, Mar 25, 2006.

  1. PC

    PC Guest

    Greetings all.

    XP Pro, all service packs, Nero 7, Media Player 10, 3 x CD/DVD +-RW/DL/RAM
    drives, Athlon 2500+, 1GB Ram, 120GB Sata C (NTFS):, etc.

    Ok so it's time to do the backups.
    As I'd just had a recent C: failure I hadn't as yet setup my favourite
    backup program that zips and burns direct to RW/RAM disk.
    So for the moment we'll just drag and drop to Rewriteables.
    Out come the RW's and start drag n drop, Email store folder, Addressbook and
    several other folders/files copied no problems.

    Start to copy My Documents, goes fine till it get's to "My Music"

    Error "Cannot copy filename:Files on this CD-ROM are read-only: You cannot
    copy or move files over to this CD-ROM drive"

    After a lot of stuffing around with reformating disks/new disks and trying
    to reset Read Only attributes I have found the problem lies with the folder
    name "My Music" .
    So far I have determined the following.

    * Any folder with the name 'My Music' can not be copied to a RW (or RAM)
    disk without generating the error.
    * No files or folders can be copied to a "My Music" folder on a RW disk.
    (error as above)
    * Renaming the RW 'My Music' folder still generates errors when trying to
    copy files into it. (which suggests there is an hidden attribute attached to
    the original folder)
    * Whereas a Folder on the RW with any other name will accept the contents
    from (C:) My Music without qualm.
    * Most of the folders in My Documents including My Music have the read only
    attribute set and can't be unset.
    * A Zipped copy of My Documents copies ok to RW (didn't try it with the name
    'My Music.zip' though) as long as it's not to a My Music folder.

    So
    Does anyone know if the My Music folder is treated in a special way by XPP.
    Could it be something to do with Media Player 10 and digital rights.
    Does anyone else have the same characteristics on their My Music folder?

    Running as Administrator, Anti Virus and Anti Spyware up to date, Root kit
    Revealer found nothing.

    I'm stumped.

    Cheers
    Paul.

    PC, Mar 25, 2006

  2. PC

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Looks like an attempt by MS to stop copying of music. Maybe it's been bought
    in as part of the roll-out of DRM and paid downloads (that will only go to
    "My Music")?

    Just speculation.

    Goodnight.

    ~misfit~, Mar 25, 2006

  3. PC

    impossible Guest

    I don't have this problem on XP Pro, so I don't think you can put this
    on Microsoft. I'd suspect that some application has installed
    anti-copy restrictions to the My Music folder.

    impossible, Mar 25, 2006
  4. PC

    David Guest

    Weird, and unlikely but you never know these days. I'd recommend
    avoiding the default folders: My Music, My Pictures and My Documents,
    mainly because spyware is likely to look there if it wants to steal your
    identity etc, and because these folders are in your user account, music
    and pictures are often something you would like to share with other
    users of the computer (but don't give them write access in case they use
    iTunes or WMP and it screws around with your tags). Mine goes in
    D:\Music, D:\Documents and D:\Photos and I back this drive up regularly.
    Everything on C: could get trashed and I wouldn't really care.

    David, Mar 25, 2006
  5. PC

    Bok Guest

    Is it possible you are attempting to overwrite an existing read-only
    copy of the 'My Music' folder on the CDRW? That is likely to fail with
    the error you reported.

    Have you tried backing it up to a blank CD-R?
    Zipping it and backing up to the CD-RW?

    Bok, Mar 25, 2006
  6. PC

    ~misfit~ Guest

    I do the same, and use MS Synctoy to echo the folders (as well as my email
    store folder and my NG store folders amongst others) to another machine on
    my LAN.

    ~misfit~, Mar 26, 2006
  7. PC

    Adam Guest

    Snippied the original post ... so (to whoever) ...

    Could it be the dread directory nesting/pathname limit that we've had
    a few threads about lately?

    Check you haven't got too many nested subdirectories.

    Adam.

    Adam, Mar 26, 2006
  8. PC

    PC Guest

    Bok

    Haven't tried a CD/DVD-R as yet, thanks for the idea.
    Yes did zip My Music to a Zip, this copied OK to the RW.

    Cheers
    Paul.

    PC, Mar 26, 2006
  9. PC

    PC Guest

    Adam

    Thanks for the thought, but if I create a folder with 'any' other name bar
    "My Music" on the RW disk the contents of My Music (from My Documents) will
    copy into it no problem at all.

    As I said in my OP the key issue appears to be the name of the folder i.e.
    "My Music" that is causing the problem.

    The Audio/Video Media related Software on my PC is:

    Windows Media Player 10 and Windows Movie Maker.
    Nero 7 (full install, Nero Showtime, Nero Sound Trax etc)
    Ulead Video Studio 9 & Media Studio 7
    Creative Audigy 2 ZS software suite.
    Most of the current Cyberlink video/media apps.
    Audacity

    Should anyone recall an issue with those programs and the My Music folder,
    please do post.

    Cheers
    Paul.

    PC, Mar 26, 2006
  10. PC

    PC Guest

    Bok

    And the mystery deepens.
    Just used Nero Express to burn 'My Music' to DVD-R
    No problems, no errors and the files successfully copied.

    Cheers
    Paul.

    PC, Mar 26, 2006
  11. PC

    Bok Guest

    Paul,
    When you were copying to DVD-RW, do you know what packet writing
    software were you using?

    If you are using the inbuilt XP packet writer, then try Nero InCD
    instead if you have it. If you are already using InCD, try upgrading it
    to the latest version.

    Bok, Mar 26, 2006
  12. PC

    PC Guest

    snip

    Well I've fixed it.

    Turns out it was something to do with that particular folder even when it
    was given a different name.

    I renamed My Music to "original My Music' and created a new 'My Music'
    folder.
    The contents of the original My Music was copied to the new 'My Music' and
    successfully dragged and dropped to DVD RW, and DVD RAM without any errors
    and complaints.

    As a check I then tried to drag and drop the 'original My Music' to the
    RW/RAM and got the error messages again.

    Cause ????????

    Thanks to all who suggested possible solutions.

    Cheers
    Paul.

    PC, Mar 27, 2006