    content of the message. In newsgroups, the message is always public, and
    it gets archived.

    -- Lassi

    Lassi =?iso-8859-1?Q?Hippel=E4inen?=, Jun 3, 2004

  2. Regal

    Doctor Who Guest

    Absolutely. Many forget this. Despite opting for x-no archive being ticked, you cannot
    rely on this. However, provided the link between yourself and the post is securely
    broken, it is irrelevant that it is being archived and read by the world. The whole point
    of being anonymous is to secure the widest possible publicity for your opinions without
    the penalty of being identified.

    Doctor Who

    Doctor Who, Jun 3, 2004

  3. Regal

    Doctor Who Guest

    Not quite true. The snoops or whoever can certainly read your postings, but should be
    unable to personally trace them back to you, originator of these postings.

    Doctor Who

    Doctor Who, Jun 3, 2004
  4. Regal

    Bill Unruh Guest

    ]"T. Sean Weintz" wrote:
    ]>
    ]> Bill Unruh wrote:
    ]>
    ]> > ]> > >
    ]> > ]> > > You'll see that it's not only your ISP that can see your Usenet
    ]> > ]traffic!
    ]> > ]> > >
    ]> > ]> > > I posted a message complaining about a crap boss I had and it turned
    ]> > ]up
    ]> > ]> > the
    ]> > ]> > > head of the list in Google if you did a search on his name.
    ]> >
    ]> > A usenet post is SUPPOSED to be readable by everyone in the world. That is
    ]> > what usenet is all about. And Yes, google does also search over usenet.
    ]> >
    ]>
    ]> Yup. Google groups is great. I love seeing my name all over it.

    ]Used to be called Dejanews, before Google acquired it.

    Still called dejanews.
    www.dejanews.com still gets there.

    ]> Yeah.
    ]> all the way back to '96. 8 years of garbage it's collected on me.
    ]> Flame wars and all.

    ]It is quite regular to check the newsgroups before recruiting people. A
    ]good way of finding out what kind of candidates you have.

    ]-- Lassi

    Bill Unruh, Jun 3, 2004
  5. Regal

    IanAl Guest

    That redirects you to Google Groups so it's *not* "still called
    dejanews".

    IanAl, Jun 4, 2004
  6. As long as you realize that Google (Groups) is about the *only*
    archive which honors "X-No-Archive: Yes".

    Case in point: http://www.myispforum.com/showpost.php?p=18700&postcount=10

    (besides this one, I found your post in three other archives)

    Frank Slootweg, Jun 11, 2004
  7. Frank Slootweg said
    Can you provide info (URL's) to other archives like this, that archive
    newsgroups?

    Homer.Simpson, Jun 11, 2004
  8. Regal

    nemo outis Guest

    I agree that, if you add X-No-Archive to your post, Google will
    no longer *display* it. In my normal paranoia, however, I
    strongly suspect that they still do archive it (perhaps to help
    their buddies at Homeland Security :) In any case, I'm sure
    it's catalogued somewhere by somebody even if it's not available
    for public retrieval.

    Regards,

    nemo outis, Jun 11, 2004
  9. A good rule of thumb to follow is that if it is recorded somewhere it
    is also saved somewhere no matter what you do. That would include
    AIM's emails and NG posting.

    Jeff

    Jeffrey Schwartz, Jun 11, 2004
  10. Regal

    Leythos Guest

    The funny thing is that of anyone replies to your post and includes the
    headers, then your post is archived. Only the original XNA is honored,
    not a reply that contains a post that had XNA in it.

    Leythos, Jun 11, 2004
  11. Regal

    Mr Nobody Guest

    What's 'funny' about that? To work the "X-No-Archive: Yes" has to be
    either in the header or on the first line of the body of the post;
    that's the way it works.

    Whether a follow-up post has the same setting is up to whoever replies
    (or how his newsreader is set).

    Mr Nobody, Jun 11, 2004
  12. Regal

    Leythos Guest

    I know that, but it would be nice if a reply that included content from
    a post that had XNA included in it would also not be archived by places
    that honor XNA.

    Leythos, Jun 11, 2004
  13. Regal

    Mr Nobody Guest

    That would be difficult to do as the archive software would have to
    find the referenced article (to see whether it contained the XNA
    header), which might be delayed until after the reply or not turn up
    at all.

    Mr Nobody, Jun 11, 2004
  14. I know that, but it would be nice if a reply that included content from
    I just assume that anything I post in a public newsgroup will be seen by
    everybody, including generations yet unborn, and ultimately can be traced to the
    source, so I don't post anything I don't want seen by the F.B.I., the C.I.A., my
    ISP, or my mother.

    \Crash\ Dummy, Jun 11, 2004
  15. Regal

    John Smith Guest

    By far, the best assumption IMO.

    John Smith, Jun 11, 2004
  16. Regal

    Leythos Guest

    Very wise choice. I've felt that way since I left the shop :)

    Leythos, Jun 12, 2004
  17. (AFAIK,) Google Groups is the only (freely available) *general*
    newsgroup archive, but there are many, many, other archives, which do
    archive only selective hierarchies or groups, have shorter retention
    times, etc., so your (general) question can not be answered.

    However that is not the point. The point is that, for all intents and
    purposes, "X-No-Archive: Yes" does not work. Only if you want people to
    not *easily* find *your* postings (i.e. *not* postings which *quote*
    (part of) your postings) then you can use "X-No-Archive: Yes".
    Personally I can't think of any real reason for wanting that.

    FWIW, I have encountered several strong proponents of "X-No-Archive:
    Yes" who were convinced that it worked. Each time I could (easily) prove
    them wrong.

    Frank "'X-No-Archive: Yes', just say no!" :) Slootweg

    Frank Slootweg, Jun 12, 2004
  18. Frank Slootweg said
    Thanks Frank,

    I understand the implications of the X-No-Archive. I was just curious if
    I could see some of my old "not-arhived" posts. Not that I really care.
    I always assume anything I post can come back to haunt me. This is the
    only "safe" way to post.

    Homer "'X-No-Archive: Yes', just say no!" Simpson.

    By the way, Homer Simpson is not my real name. Suprise! ;-D

    Homer.Simpson, Jun 12, 2004
  19. In Dystopia's case, I just did a Google (not Google Groups) search on
    "Dystopia" (without quotes) and the Subject: of this thread. For some
    reason searching on email address does not work (in Google).

    For you I could not easily find anything. When I use "Homer.Simpson",
    Google removes the dot and (of course) gives too many irrlevant hits.
    Also adding 'your' Organization: as a search item does not help. So I
    guess you will have to try some other things for yourself.

    Frank Slootweg, Jun 12, 2004
  20. Frank Slootweg said

    [snip]
    hehe,

    Adding my domain name was the key. "springfieldBB"

    I hope Ellen Degeneres isn't reading this.

    http://tinyurl.com/2z5ld

    Homer.Simpson, Jun 12, 2004