    your Employer asks for? And if confronted about your activities you
    would not admit it? If the answer is yes you need to move on to some
    place else to work.

    f/fgeorge, Jul 21, 2006

  2. Susan

    f/fgeorge Guest

    You DO realize that ALL phone calls made thru cellphone towers in the
    US are recorded and KEPT FOR SIX MONTHS, by law? Right?
    So if you are cheating and he gets a whiff, don't be shocked to hear
    your conversations played in Court.

    f/fgeorge, Jul 21, 2006

  3. Susan

    Anonymous Guest

    If your employer is the nsa, yes, they can hear everything.

    If your " long distance friend " is hezbollah, yes, the nsa can hear
    everything.

    If you have any association whatever with radical liberal groups, yes,
    the nsa, homeland, interpol, cia, everybody can hear everything.

    Any questions?

    Kenny G.
    ---

    In
    -=-
    This message was sent via two or more anonymous remailing services.

    Anonymous, Jul 22, 2006
  4. Susan wrote:

    [SNIP]
    Yes, the question makes sense, the link is the IMEI, in GSM 'phones anyway.

    The fix is to use SIM cards from _different_ companies. For example,
    here in Oz, get the 'phone and the initial SIM card from, say, Optus,
    then get a pre-paid SIM from Vodafone.

    As far as anyone knows, your mobile service is supplied by Optus, only
    _you_ (and Vodafone) know about the other SIM.

    Yes, a court could order a search on all the 'phone companies call
    databases and identify all calls made to/from your handset, but if that
    happens you're already in trouble.

    Cheers,
    Gary B-)

    Gary R. Schmidt, Jul 22, 2006
  5. Susan

    Ivor Jones Guest

    [snip]
    Call logs, yes. All actual voice streams..? I doubt it. The amount of
    storage space required would be astronomical, given the sheer number of
    calls made daily.

    Please tell us the law in question and provide a link to a verifiable
    source.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Jul 22, 2006
  6. I suspect the concern here is that her hubby will (starting from the
    serial number of the handset) get a list of all SIM cards (and
    associated accounts and phone numbers) ever used in that phone, then
    get the call detail records of those accounts.

    I have no idea how likely that is to work in practice, though it's
    certainly technically feasable.

    William P.N. Smith, Jul 22, 2006
  7. Susan

    POKO Guest

    Save yourself all the cost and trouble and ask hubby for more foreplay,
    if that's what this is all about.

    POKO, Jul 22, 2006
  8. Susan

    Al Klein Guest

    In the US, with most carriers, you can usually switch phones any time
    you like and, unless you have a problem, the company will never notice
    the IMEI.

    Al Klein, Jul 22, 2006
  9. Susan

    Nomen Nescio Guest

    Not true. One end of a skype connection is a mouth and the other one is an
    ear. Both do not offer, in the current versions, adequate encryption.

    If you're lucky like me and have your own office with solid walls, shutting
    the door and windows might help a little but not much.
    I'm thankful to work in a small company where Tetrinet is accepted as
    recreational software. And our productivity cannot be complained about.
    Unfortunately, the spirit of corporate america is slowly creeping into Good
    Old World companies, too.

    Nomen Nescio, Jul 22, 2006
  10. Susan

    Ivor Jones Guest

    Surely you should be working while at work, not using recreational
    software..?

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Jul 22, 2006
  11. Susan

    DevilsPGD Guest

    In message <> William P.N.
    Many cell phones clear the call list when the SIM is swapped.

    DevilsPGD, Jul 22, 2006
  12. Susan

    DevilsPGD Guest

    In message <> William P.N.
    What if her name isn't Susan, and/or the company is wrong?

    Finding identifying an individual that made a usenet post isn't that
    hard (Virtually all providers keep some sort of posting logs that can
    tie a post to the poster), but going the other way around is virtually
    impossible.

    DevilsPGD, Jul 22, 2006
  13. Yes, the IMEI doesn't _matter_, but it's still important, and it's not
    dependent on the SIM, only the handset.

    The IMEI is what you use to deactivate a handset when it is stolen, and
    we went through hell here getting the various providers to play nice and
    agree to honour each others IMEI stops.

    All the GSM exchange systems (5) I've seen in Oz and Europe *record* the
    IMEI on all transactions (call, SMS send/receive, status change,
    etcetera). And this information can be very important, back in 2000 I
    was pulling call data out of the Bureau of Meteorology's PABX system for
    the Coronial Inquest into the deaths in the Sydney-Hobart Yacht Race.

    Cheers,
    Gary B-)

    Gary R. Schmidt, Jul 22, 2006
  14. Susan

    Susan Guest

    Hi Wolfgang,

    What I'm doing is innocent enough in that I'm not at all worried that I'm a
    terrorist or a bad guy that the NSA would find interesting. I just have
    personal reasons for personal privacy, the same as you all do too. I don't
    have to tell everyone at home, not my Mom, not my Dad, not anyone what I'm
    doing outside of home, and that's really all I'm asking for.

    I'm just looking for basic privacy.

    I think what I'll do is buy a pay as you go sim card and slip that in my
    regular phone when I want to make a call. I don't want to have a second
    phone as it would arouse suspicion when its found whereas a second sim card
    is simple enough to keep hidden from the family eyes.

    From what everyone is saying, the serial number (is that the same as the
    ESN or the IMEI number?) can tie the two sim cards together, so it's better
    if the second sim card comes from a second company for that extra level of
    abstraction.

    I'll also ensure the phone doesn't save the calls via the settings.

    I can't imagine there aren't millions of people who, like I, desire privacy
    so that only we are privy to what phone calls we make. (That's why I don't
    want to make the call from work but the problem is I can only make the
    calls during the work day).

    Is there any other advice for people like me who simply want to talk to
    someone privatly who is three states away?

    Susan

    Susan, Jul 22, 2006
  15. Susan

    Susan Guest

    You never talk to anyone personally from the hours of 9 to 5?
    Not even on your breaks?
    You work 100% of the time and don't ever talk to friends?

    Susan

    Susan, Jul 22, 2006
  16. Susan

    Susan Guest

    Personally, I doubt my current employer cares whether I talk to a friend a
    few states away or not, especially since I can easily do it at lunch and
    I'm not spending more than a few minutes in the call.

    My problem is I don't want the employer to have to PAY for that phone call
    so the suggestion of a pre paid phone card works as well only it's not as
    general a solution as the second sim card because it doesn't work from the
    parking lot like a phone does.

    I seriously doubt my employer would "confront" me over a few phone calls
    but maybe your work environment is vastly different than mine so I'm not
    making a judgement call on that.

    All I want is a bit of privacy ..... just like you do.
    Susan

    Susan, Jul 22, 2006
  17. Susan

    Susan Guest

    Do I know you?
    I haven't been there for almost a decade.
    How do you supposedly know this?

    Susan

    Susan, Jul 22, 2006
  18. Susan

    Ivor Jones Guest

    I don't work 9 to 5, but if by talking to people you mean making personal
    phone calls, then no I don't. I may do so on a break, but I would not use
    company phones or computers to do so.
    Yes I talk to friends, but not when I am working. Maybe your job is
    different, but I am too busy to waste my working hours on personal
    matters.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Jul 22, 2006
  19. Susan

    Ivor Jones Guest

    [snip]
    Then as you have repeatedly been told, don't use company equipment.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Jul 22, 2006
  20. Susan

    Bill Kearney Guest

    Please advise me as this is a personal matter all mixed up with work and
    Get off the phone, get back to work and stop being a homewrecker.

    Bill Kearney, Jul 22, 2006