Can McAfee miss detecting a virus?

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Mike, Apr 23, 2005.

  1. Mike

    Mike Guest

    Hello,

    My email address was receiving large amounts of spam (800 emails). So I
    changed it to a completely new email address. I then began to download
    my email from my new email address and was surprised to find another 800
    spam emails! Where are these spam emails coming from? Might I have a
    virus on my computer possibly?

    I phoned my ISP and they indicate that, no, they do not have any spam
    filters on their servers. (To me, that would explain all the spam). But
    they also indicated I could possibly have a "worm" on my computer and
    that no matter how many times I change my email address the huge amounts
    of spam will still come. Could this be correct? They suggested that
    before I conclude the spam was coming from their email servers, I should
    run a virus check on my computer.

    And so I ran two virus scans, first with McAfee and then next with
    AVG-Free. This took about 45 minutes each time to scan my entire hard drive.

    Fortunately, McAfee and AVG-Free both indicate that I do not have a
    virus: "No Virus detected".

    However, is it possible that, yes, I may still have a worm or a virus
    and that both McAfee and AVG-Free couldn't detect it? Do most anti-virus
    programs such as McAfee and AVG-Free detect for worms as well as viruses?

    Or can I now safely assume that my computer is free of viruses?

    (My ISP also suggested I consider using Spybot. Would that help in this
    spam situation or is Spybot just a popup blocker for browsers?)

    Thank you for any advice,

    Mike

    Mike, Apr 23, 2005

  2. Mike

    Kenty Guest

    try the free online scanner at trend micro called "houseCall"

    Kenty, Apr 23, 2005