    Kodak dock would work, check the Kodak site to be sure. I will upgrade
    before long myself, but can't decide if I want a new PC or to retire my oly
    4040 first :)

    Nibbler, Feb 18, 2004

  2. Nibbler

    Steve Brooks Guest

    I'd like to make the leap to digital, but I have an older machine: PIII,
    Windows 98 SE, USB 1.1, etc.

    Will I need to upgrade to a new PC with Win XP and USB 2.X to even be able
    to connect one of the current digital cameras? I'm considering the Sony 828,
    Dimage A1/2, Kodak Easyshare, and similar models. I plan to continue with
    Paint Shop Pro 7, which works well for me.

    Thanks for any advice you can give; I'm getting confused on this point, and
    the nearest camera store of any kind is more than 100 miles from here, so
    this will have to be a mail order purchase.

    Steve in Nebraska

    Steve Brooks, Feb 18, 2004

  3. Nibbler

    Rhett Guest

    It may work as it is- or it may not. Connect the camera to the computer and
    see if it is recognized. If it is, you're OK. If not, the camera will come
    with a CD ROM that has the drivers for Win 98 and they need to be installed.
    As long as you have a CD ROM in your computer, you'll be OK.

    After you install the driver, the computer will recognize the camera--
    though it may see it as a removable drive rather than a camera.

    You don't need to install all the other software if you don't want to. You
    can drag and drop the files using Windows Explorer.

    Rhett

    Rhett, Feb 18, 2004
  4. Nibbler

    Lucas Tam Guest

    You won't have any problems. However, as your computer OS gets older, you
    may experience more compatibility problems with the bundled software that
    come with the camera. You're solution is to: A) Use the USB Mass Storage
    Driver to download photos (in essence turn your camera in a removable
    drive), or B) buy a USB card reader.

    Lucas Tam, Feb 18, 2004
  5. Nibbler

    pjp Guest

    I basically have same setup, PIII at 733Mz, 98SE and my Fuji S602Z works
    fine. I wouldn't expect any problems I don't even mind the offload speed
    from camera to pc. It's fast enough I can't boil water, make a coffee and
    get back to pc before it's done.

    IMPORTANT - One word of advice though.

    When using 98SE, Windows will not have the required driver for the camera so
    it's best to first install the driver for a USB device BEFORE attaching the
    camera for the first time. If you don't follow this advise and instead
    simply hook the device up to the usb port without first installing the
    driver for it, you run the risk of Windows doing it's default detection
    logic which will fail (as drivers not installed yet) hence you end up with
    an Unknown Device in device manager Often deleting both this Unknown Device
    and the actual camera's usb driver and start over becomes one of the
    dubugging suggestions if/when it doesn't end up working.

    Rule of the road with USB devices

    9x series - install driver first then attach device
    NT-XP etc. - attach device then install driver

    Ask the tech's in the clone shops :)

    pjp, Feb 18, 2004
  6. Nibbler

    jriegle Guest

    If you use PSP7, you don't need the camera's software. Just buy a card
    reader. most support Win98 SE.
    John

    jriegle, Feb 18, 2004
  7. As long as USB works in your computer, you should be fine. IIRC, if your
    computer was originally a Windows 95 machine and you upgraded to Windows 98,
    the OS didn't recognize the USB ports (which weren't supported in 95). I
    recall that there were other random USB problems in Windows 98 that were fixed
    in Windows 98SE. You presumably will have to load drivers for the cameras or
    card readers since USB mass storage and PTP weren't supported by the original
    OS.

    Michael Meissner, Feb 18, 2004
  8. Nibbler

    imbsysop Guest

    ... that's only partially true .. ie only in the case that the camera
    needs a proprietary USB driver this driver needs installing .. if the
    camera acts as a "removable USB storage device" the internal W98SE USB
    driver will do just fine ..
    caveat .. it may not work with the bundled software as expected

    imbsysop, Feb 19, 2004
  9. Nibbler

    Larry Guest

    Once again I dont have the OPs post so I'll follow-up here.

    As one who trouble shoots other peoples computers on a regular basis, my
    recommendation is as follows:

    1. Check to see if the USB port on your computer is working properly.
    If answer to 1 is yes = go to 3.

    2. If it isnt, invest the few dollars it costs for a USB PCI card and
    install it with its Win 98 drivers.

    3. Buy a card reader.

    4. install it with its Win 98 driver.

    5. DONT INSTALL ANY SOFTWARE THAT CAME WITH THE CAMERA! (except of
    course the RAW file converter if you need it, it probably wont install
    any drivers)

    6. Use the card reader to get the pictures into the computer.

    The reason for NOT installing the camera software is simple:

    You probably already have stuff installed that will do a better job with
    your photos than what comes with the camera, and camera specific
    software MAY install drivers you either dont need, or worse, drivers
    that will crash your system.

    Larry, Feb 19, 2004
  10. Nibbler

    Don Stauffer Guest

    You have a newer, better machine than I do, and I have no problems
    editing photos with PSP 7 or 8.

    I don't connect to camera anyway, (Oly), though I can. I find a card
    reader a much better way to download photos, and I am sure most card
    readers will work with your computer and OS. Card readers are cheap,
    twenty to thirty bucks, and much easier than hooking camera to computer.

    Don Stauffer, Feb 19, 2004
  11. Nibbler

    bob Guest

    If your machine is 450 Mhz or so, and if you have more than 256 Mb of
    ram, you might want to consider upgrading the OS to windows 2000 ($175).
    But if you're not having any problems with your 98, you could keep using
    it.

    I have my Win 2k machine at home set up to dual boot to two different
    instances of windows 2000. One install has nikon software (to read RAW
    images), CD burner software, and lots of other software I don't use all
    that often. The other instance just has the minimum to create and print
    word processing documents and email.

    Bob

    bob, Feb 19, 2004