Can I REPLACE DELL OPTIPLEX gx270 MOTHERBOARD?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by faizankhan666, Dec 13, 2006.

  1. It is out of warranty......and also burnt out..

    faizankhan666, Dec 13, 2006

  2. faizankhan666

    Cub Guest

    Yeah Yeah Yeah replace it ! !

    Cub, Dec 13, 2006

  3. faizankhan666

    beenthere Guest

    As Cub says yea, But consider Why is it burnt out.
    Is your PSU shot as well ?.

    beenthere, Dec 13, 2006
  4. faizankhan666

    Ron Martell Guest

    No problems from a technical point of view.

    However if you have a Dell OEM version of Windows XP installed then
    you may have a problem unless you get the replacement motherboard from
    Dell.

    Your OEM version of Windows XP is probably BIOS Locked, which means
    that it is self-activating when installed on a Dell motherboard but
    cannot be activated if the motherboard is from anyone else.

    And if you change to a different motherboard then you will have to do
    a Repair Install of Windows XP in order to get it properly configured
    to work with the new motherboard hardware, and that will require
    reactivation.

    Hope this explains the situation.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada