    Michael Fish Guest

    And if so, how can I do it.

    Thanks in advance.

    Michael Fish, Aug 17, 2003

  2. Michael Fish

    rob.b Guest

    1. Open the player's tray.
    2. Using the remote control, key in the following: 8, 4, 2, 1.
    3. Select the region required or 9 for region free and then press OK (or
    close the tray for 3201 model).
    2.13 aa18 firmware onwards do not respond to the hack

    rob.b, Aug 17, 2003

  3. Michael Fish

    mrdancer Guest

    Some do, some don't. I bought a 5131 from Sam's Club last spring and did
    the CD hack and it worked very well (eliminated Macrovision and region). I
    bought another 5131 from CircuitCity a few weeks later and the hack would
    not work on it.

    There's a site online somewhere that tells in detail how to perform the hack
    and offers the CDR .iso to create the hack CD. It also tells you how to
    determine if your 5131 is hack-able. I don't have the website handy, but
    maybe you can Google it up.

    mrdancer, Aug 18, 2003
  4. Michael Fish

    Michael Fish Guest

    Thanks rob.b & mrdancer, I have the microtech chipset version- I can't hack
    it. boo-hoo, just my luck for getting it @ Wal-Mart for 59.88 just over a
    month ago.

    Michael Fish, Aug 19, 2003
  5. Michael Fish

    mrdancer Guest

    I paid $90USD for mine. I would've paid an extra $50 for a version I knew
    would be easily hack-able. I'm sure if the manufacturers would realize
    this, we'd see more of this type of thing out there.

    You could always surf the pawnshops, etc. for an early version of the 5131.
    Or if you just need to get rid of Macrovision, a $20USD RF Modulator from
    your local electronics store will do the trick.

    OTOH, if you keep up with the DVD forums, every once in a while you will
    find an easily hack-able DVD player that someone has discovered, whether
    it's a Panasonic, Daewoo or whatever.

    mrdancer, Aug 19, 2003