    I don't want to protect the drive itself; just specific discs. And the
    protection doesn't have to be too hi-spec; just enough to keep casual
    snoopers out of my files!

    Hungerdunger, Mar 5, 2007

  2. Hungerdunger

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    Don't leave the disks lying about and lock them in a secure place?

    Desk Rabbit, Mar 5, 2007

  3. Hungerdunger

    Demolitio Guest

    why don't you buy a USB thumbdrive? they are relativly cheap nowadays,
    have the potential to hold more than most removable media, and last
    longer than most of those, as well. quite a few drives have encryption
    software already preloaded onto them, as well (one example of a company
    that does this is SanDisk.), to keep data stored on them from being
    accessed without the owner's consent.

    Demolitio, Mar 5, 2007
  4. Hungerdunger

    Soundblaster Guest

    No, can't be done. A better option is "Free online Storage" - type that into
    google.
    Or even a web-based email account will do for what you intend.

    Soundblaster, Mar 5, 2007
  5. Hungerdunger

    HEMI-Powered Guest

    Today, Hungerdunger made these interesting comments ...
    What is the value of your intellectual property that you want to
    protect in dollars or time? If small, then put your discs someplace
    safe, preferably out of your house or office, e.g. a bank safety
    deposit box. If large, investigate software copy protection and
    formal registration with the Copyright folks in D.C., AND store
    your discs in a safe place. You are the only one who can answer
    these questions, until you provide some clues, everyone here is in
    the dark as to how to advise you.

    P.S. you into illegal stuff like kiddie porn or you just want your
    wife and kids out of your files?

    HEMI-Powered, Mar 5, 2007
  6. Hungerdunger

    HEMI-Powered Guest

    Today, Soundblaster made these interesting comments ...
    Oh, I don't know about can't be done. I have some DVD movies that I
    bought that will not play on my PC using software like PowerDVD
    because the copy protection scheme used thinks I can suck the movie
    off my video port. So, I think there are ways to lock folks out of
    optical but probably neither easy nor cheap.

    HEMI-Powered, Mar 5, 2007
  7. Hungerdunger

    thanatoid Guest

    Make a zip or rar compressed file of all the data you want to
    store (using no ACTUAL compression if you prefer) and password
    it. Then burn that onto the disk.

    You WILL have to go an extra step to access the data (ie
    unrar/unzip it onto your machine before accessing) but IMO
    that's not a big deal. Just make sure to wipe the free space
    after you've finished, so nothing is left behind, just in case.

    thanatoid, Mar 5, 2007
  8. Hungerdunger

    Soundblaster Guest

    Nonsense.
    The copy protection employed by DVD's is macrovision.
    PowerDVD will not have any problem with such DVD's.
    All that macrovision encryption prevents is copying,
    but is easily defeated with DVD Shrink or DVD decryptor.
    Macrovision encryption does not prevent playback.

    Soundblaster, Mar 5, 2007
  9. You might want to try Truecrypt (freeware)
    You can create a container file on your machine that's just big enough
    to copy onto your CD or DVD then use Truecrypt mount/load files into
    the container file, then burn the container file onto your CD/DVD.
    They can later be mounted directly from the CD with a password. It's
    similar to using a zip/rar file with a password but much easier to work
    with on an ongoing basis.

    <http://www.truecrypt.org>

    HTH,
    John

    John Wunderlich, Mar 5, 2007
  10. Hungerdunger

    John Holmes Guest

    Hungerdunger "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    Removing MARX from your address leads to:

    YHM

    John Holmes, Mar 5, 2007
  11. Hungerdunger

    HEMI-Powered Guest

    Today, Soundblaster made these interesting comments ...
    you should be wary of words like "nonsense" when talking to people
    you don't know about things you don't know. if you think me a fool,
    then look in the mirror

    HEMI-Powered, Mar 6, 2007
  12. Hungerdunger

    Soundblaster Guest

    But it was about "things" I do know, and you obviously haven't got a clue.
    You were typing nonsense and you still are doing so. End of subject.

    Soundblaster, Mar 6, 2007
  13. Hungerdunger

    HEMI-Powered Guest

    Today, Soundblaster made these interesting comments ...
    again, you should be wary of reaching incorrect conclusions based
    on unfounded assumptions. you know nothing about me, nothing about
    what I may or may not have seen, nothing at all. if somebody tells
    you that PowerDVD refused to view one or move commercial DVDs with
    a specific error message saying that the PC's video card permits
    the taking of information directly from the movie, and hence it is
    not permitted, then you should listen. there are tens of thousands
    of DVDs and millions of PCs, I hardly think you've seen it all or
    know it all, but your big mouth and your fingers run ahead of your
    small brain, so your handle fits you well.

    HEMI-Powered, Mar 6, 2007
  14. Hungerdunger

    Soundblaster Guest

    Complete and Utter BULLSHIT!

    You dopey wanker
    LMFARO

    Soundblaster, Mar 6, 2007
  15. Hungerdunger

    HEMI-Powered Guest

    Today, Soundblaster made these interesting comments ...
    hey, imbecile, come on over and see for yourself, the only
    bullshit around here is coming from you. you act like some sort
    of know it all, well, you don't, and you'd be wise to calm down
    before you blow what few brain cells you still have on the floor

    HEMI-Powered, Mar 6, 2007
  16. Hungerdunger

    Soundblaster Guest

    You are out of your depth and you haven't got a clue what you are talking
    about.

    This thread is about copying to a CD or *DVD*.
    You have obviously heard about HD-DVD and Blu-Ray large capacity Hi-def
    optical media. These may look like DVD's but they are NOT.

    Both these propriatary Hi-Def formats when playing encrypted Disks
    require that the standalone player or graphics card has an HDMI interface
    and the HDCP chipset, this is to ensure the connection is not to digital
    copying equipment. This has NO impact on playback of *DVD*.
    Playback of HD-DVD and Blu-Ray requires dedicated playback equipment
    they will not playback on DVD players.
    DVD's will playback on such eqiupment and is unhindered by the HDCP chipset.
    DVD's encryption/copy protection is macrovision and is unlinked to graphics
    cards and outputs, macrovision is only to prevent digital copying.

    Read about HD-DVD and Blu-Ray, Neither of which is DVD, in which this
    thread is the subject:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HD_DVD
    http://www.blu-ray.com/info/

    Read about the HDCP chipset to prevent Hi-Def copying.
    This has NO impact on DVD playback:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDCP

    Now you plonked moron, read about HDCP:
    http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/ati_nvidia_hdcp_support/

    This thread is about *DVD* you have got your formats confused you thicko!

    Soundblaster, Mar 6, 2007
  17. Hungerdunger

    HEMI-Powered Guest

    Today, Soundblaster made these interesting comments ...
    I'll try one more time to reason with a fool - you - and say that
    DVD copy protection has been evolving since the very first one,
    and it is accelerating. It is hardly a simple thing as you
    implied several inane comments ago. I'll give you one simple
    hint: the widescreen version of Titanic with Leonardo DeCaprio
    and Kate Winslet plays on one of my PCs but not the other, the
    difference being different video cards. The one it won't play on
    - just starts, spews forth an error message, and shuts PowerDVD
    down, has a card that allows a video feed off the back but no way
    to disable it, as the DVD publishes alleges must be done. Now, if
    there is one movie, there are thousands. And, folk with older DVD
    drives, other HW, and even older DVD players on their TVs are
    increasingly unable to view certain titles. On the one hand, this
    is sad, but on the other, I think it is good news, as when the
    unenlightened like you get sufficiently enlighted and enraged and
    when Mr. and Mrs. American can't play their hot new title, maybe
    we'll get some order here. In the meantime, instead of ranting
    incoherently about things you can't possibly know about no matter
    how educated and informed you may be, why don't you open your
    small brain to the possibility that you may be wrong and others
    may be right? And, as to the OP, this thread drifted way off from
    the original question, which could also have been solved by
    encrypting at mild, medium, or very agressive levels the content
    of the optical, depending on what the OP wanted. But, to write
    off the entire industry of copy and view protection under
    narrowly defined criteria is a clear example of a fool.

    HEMI-Powered, Mar 7, 2007