Can I install XP Home on a virtual PC without a licensing snafu?

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Guest, Jun 26, 2007.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    I currently have a dual boot machine Vista 64 Ultimate and XP Home for
    backwards compatability. No problems there it works fine except for the
    bootloader issue, and XP wiping out all of the restore points and most of the
    shadow copies if you start it.

    That in itself isn't really that big of an issue, if it was easy to patch, I
    am sure MS would have taken care of it with an update to XP by now. So I will
    assume that it is just a fact of life and learn to deal with it.

    The solution I want to try is to create a virtual PC guest copy of XP, but I
    have been looking and can't seem to find an answer to the question of whether
    I can install the same copy of XP Home that I have for the dual boot as the
    guest PC copy. It is after being run on the same machine as it was originally
    installed on and won't be running at the same time as the dual boot copy.

    Can anyone direct me to some information about this? I just can't see paying
    MS Support for an answer. Is there a way to get an answer from MS or bring a
    question to their attention, so that it ends up in the Knowledge base without
    paying 2/3's of the price of the software? I just want to keep things legal
    and not get my copy of XP flagged as pirated.

    Guest, Jun 26, 2007

  2. Guest

    Theo Guest

    You may legally have only one single Product Key activated
    at a time. Two installations of XP Home with the same
    Product Key would be a direct violation of the Microsoft End
    User License Agreement (EULA).

    For more information, see the End-User License Agreement,
    located at DriveLetter:\Systemroot\System32\eula.txt. I.E.
    if your system is on drive C: then your EULA is at:
    C:\Windows\System32\eula.txt and for XP Home states:

    1.1 Installation and use. You may install, use, access,
    display and run one copy of the Software on a single
    computer, such as a workstation, terminal or other device
    ("Workstation Computer"). The Software may not be used by
    more than one processor at any one time on any single
    Workstation Computer.

    Theo, Jun 26, 2007

  3. First, it depends slightly on your copy of XP Home. If it is an OEM copy,
    you can't do anything with it. If it's a retail copy, you have the option of
    removing it from the dual boot and installing it in a virtual environment.
    But you can't have both copies installed simultaneously. (Though I'd argue
    that you could do a temporary install in the virtual environment without
    removing the dual boot for a few days just to ensure that there were no
    problems. Probably a technical violation, but I'd just delay activating the
    virtual one until you are sure it's all working as you'd expect.)

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jun 26, 2007
  4. Guest

    Guest Guest

    --
    Thanks for your assistance, sincerely Ruf1.

    I would argue that I am not violating 1.1 since it will be installed on the
    same machine and be a guest on the Vista machine only. So at no time will it
    be accessed by more that one processer on any singlework station, and it is
    legally installed on the machine that it is being used on. It is an OEM
    version so I can't do as Charlie suggests in the next post which would have
    been a viable solution had I purchased the retail box when I built the
    machine.

    Thanks though I really appreciate your answer. It confirms what I already
    suspected.

    It is unfortunate that I was unaware of the corruption problem of running
    Windows in a dual boot configuration. Had I known about it prior to
    installation I would have made diffent choices and only installed it as a
    Virtual Guest, since I am only using it for backwards compatability and
    overall am extremely pleased with the Vista Ultimate 64, it is running fine.

    I am actually confused by all the bad press Vista seems to be getting. That
    maybe due to planning on my part though. It is on a new machine and I made
    sure there where 64-bit drivers for all my hardware before I purchased it. I
    imagine an upgrade on an older machine may be more difficult.

    The only part of my question that remains unanswered at this point is does
    anyone know of a way to bring the question to the attention of Microsoft
    short of paying for support. I don't need an immediate answer from them but
    would like to see the licensing issue clarified in the Knowledge base. But
    the money I would spend for support will be better spent buying yet another
    copy of Windows XP. I feel really abused by the corporate giant at the moment.

    Thanks again Theo and Charlie Russel

    Guest, Jun 26, 2007