    failed.

    Thanks
    divoch

    divoch, Dec 22, 2006

  2. divoch

    Mr. Arnold Guest

    Yeah, you can install software on your local computer from another
    computer on the LAN that has the software on a drive. I don't know what
    your problem is but you can do it.

    Mr. Arnold, Dec 22, 2006

  3. divoch

    why? Guest

    So it's the install that fails? Contact the vendor.
    Yes that method works, use it quite often.

    Then again, sometimes copying the files locally to the desktop then
    running the install may work.

    Me

    why?, Dec 22, 2006
  4. divoch

    Meat Plow Guest

    I've done FTP installs of operating systems over the internet so yes you
    can install programs/applications.

    Meat Plow, Dec 22, 2006
  5. divoch

    why? Guest

    Tried that as well, most impressed by the 1st attempt of FreeBSD many
    years ago.

    Me

    why?, Dec 22, 2006
  6. divoch

    PeeCee Guest

    Divoch

    1 Share the DVD drive on the Laptop (already done according to your OP)
    2 On the Desktop Start, Right click on 'My Computer', left click Map Network
    drive, click the 'Browse' button.
    3 Now navigate through My Network places and select the shared DVD drive on
    your Laptop, adjust the drive letter to taste. OK / Apply / Finish as
    applicable.
    4 Load your program DVD into the Laptop's DVD drive & cancel any setup that
    autostarts
    5 On the desktop, Start, Run, Browse to the drive letter you created in step
    3.
    6 Find the file on the DVD that starts the install and 'run' that. (Open the
    autorun.inf file in the root of the DVD to see which file is in the 'open='
    line, this is the file to 'run')

    Note depending on the size of files and the state of you network allow time
    for the files to copy across your network.
    ie it may be noticably slower than straight from the DVD/CD drive.

    Best
    Paul.

    PeeCee, Dec 22, 2006
  7. divoch

    divoch Guest

    Did not do step 2, 3 ... . I shall have a go again and see if I can get it
    going.
    Thanks
    divoch

    divoch, Dec 23, 2006
  8. divoch

    PeeCee Guest

    Divoch

    The reason I suggest mapping a drive is some install routines work best to a
    drive letter.
    Properly written install software will handle network paths without problem,
    but now and again....

    Best
    Paul.

    PeeCee, Dec 23, 2006
  9. divoch

    divoch Guest

    Briliant. It worked. It must have been this mapping.
    Thanks very much
    Divoch

    divoch, Dec 23, 2006