Can I get this effect digitally?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Irwell, Apr 2, 2004.

  1. Irwell

    Irwell Guest

    Yes, it can. Won a prize, third place at local fair, for just
    such a shot. It was a still captured from a camcorder tape
    and using Irfan messed about with it until I achieved the
    effect wanted. Local fair standards were not that high, BTW.
    Irwell, Apr 2, 2004
    1. Advertisements

  2. Irwell

    David Kilo Guest

    One affect I like is the high-contrast black and white glossy, seen
    sometimes for celebrity/tabloid shots, orften ironically (book covers,
    magazine editorial art.) How can I get this kind of shot digitally? Is
    there a photoshop way? Type of paper matter? Camera pixel minimum?
    David Kilo, Apr 2, 2004
    1. Advertisements

  3. Irwell

    Lucas Tam Guest

    (David Kilo) wrote in
    Check out the Posterize function in photoshop, etc.
    Lucas Tam, Apr 2, 2004
  4. [On 2 Apr 2004 05:10:39 -0800,
    (David Kilo) wrote:]
    In my opinion, you probably can't.

    Many digital cameras can be set to take photos in B/W, but
    that is not what they are made to do. They are optimized for

    Buy yourself a traditional camera. Get a Seagull or even a
    Brownie. Better yet, a Mamiya C330. Don't try to reinvent
    the wheel. Do it the way it was designed to be done.

    Get a Seagull. See what you can do with one of those.
    There's nothing wrong with them. If you can't take a good
    photo with one of those, then you can't take a good photo.

    I'm sure you can.
    The Other Harry, Apr 2, 2004
  5. Give a good digital editing program like Photoshop a try. I think you
    will be able to get what you want.
    Joseph Meehan, Apr 2, 2004
  6. I think what you are referring to is called high key. See
    to see if I'm following you. You can do it in B&W or in color, as you
    wish. If this is what you mean, there are books and Web sites on high key
    photography, so just used your favorite search engine and click
    away. You'll find it's very popular.

    You can get the effect the same way film photographers do by using
    lighting. I assume it's possible to do it in software, but try both ways
    and see if you have a preference.
    Phil Stripling, Apr 2, 2004
  7. You may be right. I was trying to figure out what he was trying to
    describe. I have not tried it, but I am sure it could be replicated in
    software and it should come out fine.
    Joseph Meehan, Apr 2, 2004
  8. Irwell

    Paul H. Guest

    That's funny-- I thought he was talking about those kinds of high-contrast,
    flashbulb-in-the-face glossy shots taken by police crime-scene
    photographers, shots that are not so much "high key" as they are "low brow",
    shots in which most of the subjects are framed in chalk, not in wedding

    In any case, a skilled Photoshop user can do just about anything with good
    digitized picture.
    Paul H., Apr 2, 2004
  9. Well, maybe he'll fill us in. Or maybe no. Who can tell?
    Phil Stripling, Apr 2, 2004
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.