  1. I have ADSL with router, always on. Can I send and receive faxes
    without a modem?

    thanks

    PowerPost2000, Jan 14, 2006

  2. PowerPost2000

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In PowerPost2000 spewed forth:
    Yes. Search at Google.com for Internet fax services. Shop carefully.

    Toolman Tim, Jan 14, 2006

  3. PowerPost2000

    Plato Guest

    Still got a real fax machine here. Havn't used it in ages tho.

    Plato, Jan 14, 2006
  4. PowerPost2000

    PC Guest

    You can't without a "Fax Modem" , but there are outfits that will fax it for
    you by passing it to an associate close to the destination fax machine.
    The associate then uses their Fax Modem to make a local call to the
    destination Fax.

    There are 'free' ones that rely on volunteers providing the 'portals'.
    Upside is of course they are free, the downside the reliability is er shall
    we say 'variable' Then there is the paid for ones, more reliable but they
    cost.
    As you can see from this page http://www.send2fax.com/pricing.asp it will
    depend very much on what you're faxing and to where.

    If you are only looking at casual Faxing then a $20 cheap Fax Modem from
    your local PC shop will do the job perfectly adequately. If you are using XP
    then the 'Fax' Printer software is built in.

    As Toolman Tim says use Google but shop carefully.

    Cheers
    Paul.

    PC, Jan 14, 2006
  5. PowerPost2000

    AD Guest

    Most PCs or laptops, even if used on DSL/cable...willl have an internal fax
    modem.
    To send a fax, I use the XP software, unplug my phone and plug my laptop in
    the phone line.
    To receive a fax, either I know it is coming and do the same as when sending
    a fax or I use a mobile fax number provided by Vodafone (free with my mobile
    contract). I get a text or voice mail to advise I have a fax. I can read it
    from my PC or, if at the office, forward it to the fax machine..... there is
    a charge from Vodafone (10p) for texting you but as I receive a couple of
    faxes a year... no big deal!)
    AD

    AD, Jan 14, 2006
  6. You need some kind of modem, either built in your computer - look in
    control panel, "modems" and at the backside for a phone jack - or do some
    dumpster/cellar diving for a external one, which you can connect to your
    serial port. Or you do yet have a fax machine, which has the modem
    already, and don't need the pc at all.
    Since adsl uses phonelines, you should still have regular phone and a
    proper wall jack.

    Walter Mautner, Jan 14, 2006
  7. PowerPost2000

    JANA Guest

    You would have to use an internet fax service. These services charge for
    their usage. You can search these out.

    A good preference would be to invest in a fax modem for at home, and use
    your telephone line. This way, you can directly send and receive faxes
    yourself. There will be no additional costs, other than for your telephone
    companies policies, and for long distance, if you take control of your own
    faxing.

    --

    JANA
    _____