  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Like the subject says.

    Guest, Sep 29, 2005

  2. Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Sep 29, 2005

  3. Guest

    John Barnes Guest

    Yes. Depending on your setup and how you have done things so far, it may be
    easy or more complicated.

    John Barnes, Sep 29, 2005
  4. Guest

    John Barnes Guest

    If you gave up your license under TAP, you will have to purchase another.

    John Barnes, Sep 29, 2005
  5. Guest

    Guest Guest

    I have XP 32 and a new XP 64,the problem is i already installed x64 and its
    lack of drivers for certain hardware is a real pain,but for some other things
    are working quite good.

    I have x64 installed on drive C,can i install my 32bit XP on a different
    partition from DOS? what sorts of headaches am i suppose to get? :)

    Thanks for your quick replies people.

    Guest, Sep 29, 2005
  6. Guest

    John Barnes Guest

    If you don't have alot of time invested in your x64 install, your best
    approach is to wipe your drive, install x32 on a new partition of
    appropriate size, then install x64 on a new partition on the balance of the
    drive ( unless you want a third data partition ). Otherwise, you will have
    problems getting your current drive partitioned, unless you add a second
    drive and the problems described below in the posting of Sept 28 by rogue426
    Missing or corrupt ntoskrnl.exe ,please reinstall when you install x32
    last.

    John Barnes, Sep 29, 2005
  7. Generally migraines. :) Ok, you brought up something new, DOS, is that also
    on separate partition? The thing is if you install XP x86 after XP Pro x64,
    its going corrupt the version of NTLDR and NTdetect.com. You could probably
    do a repair of the XP Pro x64 installation after installing XP x86 by
    booting off the CD and enter recovery console. I personally would just back
    up data and do a clean orderly install.
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Sep 29, 2005
  8. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Ok so the best way of doing that is to install XP 32 and then to install x64
    on a different partition...btw,when x64 will get mature enough and i would
    see no reason on using the 32bit version,can i just delete the 32bit version
    (delete its folders)? (and yes i know i will lose all data :) ).

    Guest, Sep 29, 2005
  9. Guest

    VWWall Guest

    You don't have to install from DOS.

    Windows always wants the latest version to be "boss". It assumes that
    is the one you installed last. You can install an earlier version after
    a later one, but the multiple boot system gets messed up. It's not
    really too hard to fix, but does involve fooling with the boot order and
    the files that are involved.

    As has been suggested, it may be easier to remove x64, re-install XP32,
    and then install x64 again.

    VWWall, Sep 29, 2005
  10. Guest

    VWWall Guest

    It's not a question of x64 maturing, but rather that of applications and
    drivers catching up. Then x64 would not need WOW to run 32 bit
    programs. Windows has done a remarkable job of ensuring backwards
    compatibility, but something's gotta give! We'll probably never see the
    ability to use all 32bit programs in x64, but we will see 64bit
    replacements that work better.

    Meanwhile, dual booting can give you the best of both worlds. :)

    VWWall, Sep 29, 2005
  11. Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Sep 29, 2005
  12. Hello,
    All you need to do is to back up the NTLDR and NTdetect.com from the root
    prior to installing XPSP2.
    These are the version that are shipping with X64. ( These versions will
    boot Windows XP 32-bit as well as 64-bit)
    Install Windows XP to a separate drive or partition and all relevant
    service packs and other updates.
    Once that is completed, copy over the version of NTLDR and NTDetect back to
    the root.

    Installing Windows XPSP2 will overwrite NTLDR and NTDetect.com from the
    installed Windows X64 version.
    The versions of NTLDR and NTdetect.com from prior version of Windows older
    than Windows Server 2003 SP1 or Windows X64 versions will not be able to
    load the Windows x64 editions.
    All that needs to be done is to replace those two files.
    Thanks,
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

    --------------------
    <From: "=?Utf-8?B?bG9zdHdvcmQ=?=" <>
    <Subject: Re: Can i dual boot with XP 32 after i installed x64?
    <Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 09:37:15 -0700
    <Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
    <
    <I have XP 32 and a new XP 64,the problem is i already installed x64 and
    its
    <lack of drivers for certain hardware is a real pain,but for some other
    things
    <are working quite good.
    <
    <I have x64 installed on drive C,can i install my 32bit XP on a different
    <partition from DOS? what sorts of headaches am i suppose to get? :)
    <
    <Thanks for your quick replies people.
    <
    <"John Barnes" wrote:
    <
    <> If you gave up your license under TAP, you will have to purchase another.
    <>
    <>
    <> <> > Like the subject says.
    <>
    <>
    <>
    <

    Darrell Gorter[MSFT], Sep 29, 2005
  13. Great tip and info Darrell, thanks. :)

    Andre Da Costa, Sep 29, 2005
  14. I don't know your age but I sincerely doubt you'll live that long... ;-)

    I believe that X64 is as mature as it will ever get, the push for drivers,
    software, etc. is toward Vista and most companies seem to feel there is no
    need to release 64 bit anything until Vista is released in a year or so....

    If you can get X64 to work with your existing applications and hardware
    that's great, don't hesitate to use it but if, like me, you have to wait for
    more hardware and software to become available before you can use it, you
    might just as well delete it.

    David R. Norton [MVP], Sep 30, 2005
  15. Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Oct 3, 2005
  16. -snip
    -snip

    You do know there is a 64 bit Vista, right? And Vista x64 still requires 64
    bit drivers. :eek:)

    Wayne Wastier, Oct 3, 2005
  17. And we know that Vista 64 suffers almost the same driver problems as X64.

    We'll see what Beta 2 brings.....

    David R. Norton [MVP], Oct 5, 2005
  18. Now you're cooking with gasolene. LOL :)

    Wayne Wastier, Oct 5, 2005
  19. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Ok, I already have a dual boot setup, xp 32 on drive c and demo xp 64 on
    drive d, when I install the purchased version of xp 64 will it damage
    anything?

    Guest, Oct 7, 2005
  20. Hi Darrell. If you forgot to do the above, and already installed XP 32 bit
    ..... you can boot into XP 32 bit, and then using the command prompt, type cd
    \ and press enter. Then type attrib -r -h -s ntldr and press enter. Then
    type attrib -r -h -s ntdetect.com and press enter. Now, copy the files
    ntldr and ntdetect.com from the XP x64 CD from the i386 directory to
    overwrite these files on the HD. Just select y to overwrite. Then for
    safeties sake, after you overwrite those files, then type attrib +h +s +r
    ntldr, attrib +h +s +r ntdetect.com

    Later guy,

    Wayne Wastier, Oct 9, 2005