    This should work, right?
    Both computers are in the MSHOME workgroup, but don't 'see' each other.
    What am I missing?

    Mike, Aug 1, 2009

  2. Sure, you should be able to see each other. Can you ping each other by IP?
    If not, check the firewall settings.

    --
    Bob Lin, Microsoft-MVP, MCSE & CNE
    http://www.ChicagoTech.net

    Bob Lin \(MS-MVP\), Aug 2, 2009

  3. Mike

    Mike Guest

    Firewalls were off on both, but it just dawned on me, one of them is running
    that Norton 360 & I'll bet it's blocking it.

    Mike, Aug 2, 2009
  4. Hi
    Firewall instructions.
    Vista File and Printer Sharing-
    Windows XP File Sharing -
    Printer Sharing XP -
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875357
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack [MVP-Networking], Aug 2, 2009
  5. Mike

    Mike Guest

    Ok, I can see both computers in workgroup, printer shared from XP machine is
    listed on Vista laptop as an available printer.
    I connect, yada, yada, yada, print a test page & nothing comes out of
    printer.
    There is a '1' under the icon for shared printer, but opening the printer
    shows nothing there.
    If I look at printer from XP, nothing shows in print que.
    Where did it go?

    Mike, Aug 7, 2009
  6. Many Vista print issue can be fixed by adding it as local printer first and
    then re-mapping it as network printer. This search result may help.

    Bob Lin \(MS-MVP\), Aug 7, 2009
  7. Mike

    Mike Guest

    What port would I use?

    Mike, Aug 7, 2009
  8. It can be any local port. This how to may help.
    How ot add a lcal printer and remap it as a network printer
    Many Vista printer issues can be fixed by adding it as local printer
    and recapture it as a network printer (check this link for more details:
    Vista Print ...
    www.howtonetworking.com/vista/remapprinter.htm

    Bob Lin \(MS-MVP\), Aug 8, 2009
  9. Mike

    Mike Guest

    I'm getting a 'problem communicating with the printer' message.
    I can type \\mycomputer\printer in run on the vista laptop & it will open,
    so where is the problem?

    Mike, Aug 13, 2009
  10. Mike

    Mike Guest

    And if I try the same steps as noted below from my XP wireless laptop, it
    connects & prints just fine.

    Mike, Aug 14, 2009