    jack to the wiring block?

    If not, what is the problem?

    Sorry for such a newbie question, but we all start somewhere. :)

    Gary Dale, Mar 15, 2005

  2. Gary Dale

    Lucas Tam Guest

    It works.
    Only problem is that the REN (Ring Equivalence Number) is much lower on
    the PAP2 and may not support the number of phones in your house. To
    solve this problem, add up the REN of all the phones in your house and
    see if it's lower than the REN of the PAP2. Most modern phones use <0.5
    REN so this shouldn't be much of an issue for you.

    Lucas Tam, Mar 15, 2005

  3. Gary Dale

    Gary Dale Guest

    Thanks. Only problem I've got now is that Vonage apparently can't
    transfer my current number to their system. They say that it's "not
    available in Canada (yet)". This doesn't seem to prevent them from
    advertising it though!

    Gary Dale, Mar 16, 2005
  4. Gary Dale

    Lucas Tam Guest

    Number Portability is only advertised on Vonage.com... but not on Vonage.ca
    ; )

    Lucas Tam, Mar 16, 2005
  5. Gary Dale

    Rick Merrill Guest

    Gary Dale wrote:
    They can port some numbers but not all. Did they say "never"? If not,
    ask them WHEN they will be able to port it.

    Rick Merrill, Mar 16, 2005
  6. Number portability is avalable in the US by government order - the
    LECs would NEVER have agreed to it unless forced...you'll have to
    go to the communications authority in Canada to get them to implement
    the rules. :-(

    That said, I have Vonage working with all my home phones - 4 regular
    phones/base stations plugged into the device and all ring OK. It
    works treat.

    Just be sure that you disconnect the lead from the TelCo at the
    interface box (or whatever it is you have up there in Canada) so
    that you don't blow your box if somehow dialtone gets back on that
    line. I disconnected the wire on the consumer side of my box, and
    put electrical tape over the jack AND the wire, plus a note saying
    NOT to connect it again.

    -Stephen

    Stephen M. Adams, Mar 16, 2005
  7. Gary Dale

    Isaiah Beard Guest

    Lucas Tam wrote:

    The REN capacity of the PAP2 is 5, the same load capability as a typical
    urban POTS line.

    Isaiah Beard, Mar 17, 2005
  8. Gary Dale

    Isaiah Beard Guest

    Whoops my mistake, the REN load of the PAP2 is actually 3 (equivalent to
    a rural POTS line). But that should still be plenty.

    Isaiah Beard, Mar 17, 2005
  9. Gary Dale

    Rick Merrill Guest

    Not only is it probably plenty, but if you switch off the 'ring' then
    the REN drops to zero for that phone.

    Rick Merrill, Mar 17, 2005
  10. Gary Dale

    Vox Humana Guest

    The docs that came with my PAP2 says the REN is 5.

    Vox Humana, Mar 17, 2005
  11. Gary Dale

    Isaiah Beard Guest

    Ah, I was right the first time then. :) I could've sworn it was 5, but
    then not having the PAP2 right in front of me when I posted, I went to
    Amazon.com to check the specs, and they list it as 3.

    Isaiah Beard, Mar 18, 2005
  12. Gary Dale

    Gary Dale Guest

    But it is advertised on the boxes they sell in the retail stores here. I
    talked with a Vonage customer support guy yesterday - at a local number
    - who told me it would be available today, but it wasn't. :( And today
    I can't get through to their local support staff (all our lines are busy).

    Gary Dale, Mar 18, 2005
  13. Gary Dale

    Gary Dale Guest

    As Jerry Pournelle used to say "real soon now".

    Gary Dale, Mar 18, 2005
  14. Gary Dale

    Gary Dale, Mar 18, 2005
  15. Gary Dale

    Lucas Tam Guest

    REALLY? Hmmm, Vonage or Linksys must have just used the packaging from the
    US boxes. From what I've heard on Vonage-Forums.com, number portability
    won't be available in Canada for some time!

    Lucas Tam, Mar 18, 2005
  16. Gary Dale

    Marc H.Popek Guest

    Marc H.Popek, Mar 20, 2005