    that mean that I can use it as hardware firewall? I thought a router is a
    tool mean to network computer together and give access to several computer
    to share the same internet connection. Can someone explain?

    baaa, Mar 8, 2005

  2. baaa wrote:

    > I want to buy the Westell 2200 modem which some also call router. Those
    > that mean that I can use it as hardware firewall? I thought a router is a
    > tool mean to network computer together and give access to several computer
    > to share the same internet connection. Can someone explain?

    According to what I read it is a router, not necessarily a firewall. But
    if you connect to it and go to http://192.168.1.1 you can do the setup
    there. Then disconnect from the modem and connect it to the WAN port of
    a switch or hub and then you can connect multiple computers.

    http://support.easystreet.com/easydsl/equipment/westell/westell-setup.htm

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Mar 8, 2005

  3. baaa

    pengulin Guest

    This is what is commonly referred to a s a HYBRID device. It is both an aDSL
    modem and a router. It has all the NAT capabilities of a firewall according
    to the documentation. If you want to share the connection with more than two
    computers, you will need a hub or a switch because there is only one
    eithernet port and one usb port. The usb connection acts as a network
    adaptor (network card) on the pc you connect it to.

    Most routers that you see on store shelves today are also Hybrid devices
    because they combine the routing functionality with multiple physical ports
    of a network switch. But they do not typically have aDSL functionallity (you
    have to connect a SEPARATE dsl or cable modem to the WAN port).

    If you need to share the connection with more than two computers, make sure
    you get a hub or a switch (recommended), and NOT another router.

    However if you already have a router, this modem/router combo isn't the best
    choice for you. You can use it, but you've got to put this device (the
    Westell 2200) in bridge mode, effectively disabling its routing function and
    turning it into a DSL modem only. You might as well just get a standard DSL
    modem.

    The following is a link to the documentation for this device. It's in PDF
    format.

    http://www.westell.com/content/sales/2200_userguide.pdf

    pengulin, Mar 8, 2005