    effi Guest

    is there a way to hook a cassette player up to a cdrw on a computer and burn
    cds from the casstte tapes?

    effi, Dec 1, 2004

  2. effi

    Ionizer Guest

    Ionizer, Dec 1, 2004

  3. effi

    James Hanley Guest

    there are 3 or more sound related sockets on the back of your
    computer.
    Speaker, Mic, Line In

    Speaker is output.
    Mic and Line In are input

    Mic is like really bad quality input. Line In is better quality. You
    want to use Line In.

    You need a cable to speaker socket on your cassette player to the Line
    In socket on your computer.
    I think it's called a 3.5mm audio cable - male to male (male on both
    ends).

    An audio program like SNDREC32 (start..run..SNDREC32 <ENTER>) should
    be able to pick up the sound. Once it's detected, you can record.
    Save it as a .wav

    Optionally - you could then use a program called Music Matchmaker to
    convert it to an mp3 so it takes up less space. Then a program called
    Ace High to decrease the quality so you can make it take up even less
    space.

    There's probably a shortcut to all of this. I don't do this sort of
    thing very often.

    James Hanley, Dec 2, 2004
  4. effi

    bearman Guest

    What kind of cassette palyer do you have? If it's a console type then run a
    cable from the line out to the sound card line in jacks. You'll need some
    kind of recording program (I use GoldWave, there a lots of others).
    Record the tape on the hard drive then you can do what you want with it.

    Bearman

    bearman, Dec 3, 2004
  5. effi

    dan Guest

    It will not be as good quality going from analog to digital though, so if
    you are plannign to burn to CD the quality will be medicore.

    dan, Dec 4, 2004
  6. effi

    bearman Guest

    WTF are you talking about?

    bearman, Dec 4, 2004
  7. effi

    dan Guest

    What do you think I am talking about? It is kind of self explanatory. The
    quality will drop when you put it onto your PC, and it will not be CD
    quality. Need any more explanation?

    dan, Dec 4, 2004
  8. effi

    Kyote Guest

    Why will the quality drop? I mean, if you have a crappy connection or
    a very cheap sound card then I would think so. But otherwise the
    quality shouldn't be any worse than listening to it on the tape. So I
    wouldn't think he'd have a poor cd if he already likes the songs from
    the tape, at least he seems to in order for him to want to copy it to
    a computer in the first place.

    I could be wrong. My knowledge of analog and digital music begins and
    ends with the songs I like to listen to. But I always thought that
    digital is supposed to be superior to analog.

    Kyote, Dec 4, 2004
  9. effi

    Thor Guest

    Considering that the source is analog tape, the relative quality drop in the
    transfer will be minor at best if good quipment is used. At any rate, tapes
    degrade with time and playback cycles, so anything he does now to get a
    permanent copy that will halt that process, will be a net improvement in the
    long run. I think he's well aware that the source material isn't up to the
    standards of something digitally mastered. It's preservation that is the
    likely goal here, and in that vein, there is going to be a level of
    acceptable loss. If you copied the tapes to any other non-digital medium,
    there would be a more substantial generational loss due to the inherent
    shortcomings of analog home audio equipment and the recording media being
    used which by itself will impart noise and a loss of quality. At least when
    the material is finally stored digitally, there will be no more generational
    loss from any subsequent copies made.

    Thor, Dec 4, 2004
  10. effi

    bearman Guest