Can Canon image file saving/naming conventions be adjusted?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by TommyC, Aug 20, 2005.

  1. TommyC

    TommyC Guest

    This pertains to a Canon A400, but I suspect other Canons do the same
    thing.

    The camera numbers/names images something like IMG_0000, IMG_0001, etc.
    I can adjust whether I want the counter set to 0000 every time the card
    is emptied, or just continue from the last shot taken, and I pick the
    second option.

    Just noticed that the camera apparently stores the shots on the card in
    blocks of 100 in separate folders. For example, shots IMG_0000 through
    IMG_0099 are in a folder with a name like 0100, then shots starting with
    IMG_0100 are in another folder on the card with a name like 0101 (I
    think that's the methodology; I don't have the card handy right now - it
    works something like that).

    Is there a way to "force" the camera to store its images in just one
    directory on the card? If I take a lot of pictures, it's a pain having
    to download from multiple card directories (I do it manually using an SD
    card reader).

    TommyC, Aug 20, 2005

  2. TommyC

    wavelength Guest

    If you'd use the provided ZoomBrowser software, you'd not have to worry
    about that. You can use that off of a card reader also.

    wavelength, Aug 20, 2005

  3. There are some choices on the 20D. It may not be the same as for yours.
    You may want to take a look at the instruction book. It is detailed in
    mine.

    Joseph Meehan, Aug 20, 2005
  4. TommyC

    Fred Guest

    Fred, Aug 21, 2005
  5. The freeware Breeze Downloader will also transfer images from Canon
    cameras, either directly through a USB connection or using a card
    reader. It has several choices for the directory structure it uses to
    transfer the images into - it can do one directory per day (based on the
    time in the EXIF header of each image) for example.

    Dave

    Dave Martindale, Aug 21, 2005
  6. TommyC

    Dave Cohen Guest

    The answer to your question, namely can you force the camera to store > 100
    pics per album is no, except when shooting stitch or movies. It won't stop
    to create a new directory in those situations.
    The camera doesn't seem to be fussy about reading from misnamed directory or
    one containing more thatn 100 pics (created in a card reader), it just goes
    ahead and creates a new correctly named directory for current picture number
    if needed.

    You might find this useful if by some mishap the camera resets file
    numbering to 001 as I found out the hard way by doing a reset to default
    after a card format. Just rename an image and folder in card reader and let
    camera sort it out on next shot.
    Dave Cohen

    Dave Cohen, Aug 21, 2005