    pop.orangehome.co.uk

    Webmail at http://web.orange.co.uk/p/communicate/home

    the help is mostly at http://help.ee.co.uk these days

    Michael R N Dolbear, Mar 9, 2014

  2. Mack Danife

    Roger Mills Guest

    Maybe I need to clarify what I wrote earlier. I haven't had an account
    for which I pay money to Freeserve/Wanadoo/Orange for many years, but
    when I moved to PlusNet as my ISP, my old account was downgraded to
    "PAYG" - enabling me to access it using a dial-up connection. *However*,
    I can also access it from *any* internet connection, including PlusNet
    broadband. I can still use my old Freeserve UserID and pasword to log on
    to the (now) Orange pop server and retrieve incoming emails. OR, I can
    log on to orange Webmail.

    I can't *send* emails via Orange's smtp server unless I dial in to the
    Orange server - which I never do - but I can *still* send emails from my
    Freeserve address by pointing my mail client (Outlook) at PlusNet's smtp
    server instead. In other words, the setup in Outlook for that particular
    email account says: Incoming mail server: pop.freeserve.net[1] and
    Outgoing mail server: relay.plus.net[2]

    [1] Surprisingly, pop.freeserve.net is still valid, and resolves to an
    Orange server address
    [2] This is PlusNet's smtp server
    --
    Cheers,
    Roger

    Roger Mills, Mar 9, 2014

  3. Mack Danife

    Graham. Guest

    Via the same POP server as we have always used, pop.freeserve.co.uk
    (I suspect pop.orangehome.co.uk resolves to the same IP)
    because our accounts are still active on the Orange system.

    Remember these accounts are tied only to PAYG dial-up so there is no
    subscription charge as such.

    At one time you had to either dial up and log in to your account every
    three months or alternatively log into the Freeserve/Wanadoo/Orange
    website from any ISP and find the "Reactivate suspended account" link,
    although this is no longer required.

    I notice that the old dial-up number 0844 058 7000 still works, at
    least it returns a carrier tone, in which case I would argue we *are*
    still Orange customers!
    (Albeit freeloaders).

    Graham., Mar 9, 2014
  4. Mack Danife

    bert Guest

    Yeh. They'll give you BTSport for free. It doesn't get much more hostile
    than that.

    bert, Mar 10, 2014
  5. Mack Danife

    Martin Brown Guest

    Historically Freeserve made a point of offering a free service way back
    when which was presumably paid for by their dialup charges.
    I think you may find that with the right password authentication mode
    you can even send through the orange SMTP server when connected from
    another ISP. I can't test that any more since I now connect via EE.

    I still send some emails via Demons server when connected by Orange/EE.

    Martin Brown, Mar 10, 2014
  6. Mack Danife

    Roger Mills Guest

    Possibly, but I think that when you use authentication, different ports
    are used - and PlusNet may possibly block those ports. Can't remember
    whether I've ever tried it - but using PN's smtp server works ok, so I'm
    not really bothered.
    --
    Cheers,
    Roger

    Roger Mills, Mar 10, 2014
  7. Well for how long I wonder - lots of previously included things have become
    chargeable.

    I think you need a $ky box for BTSport, but I would be wrong.

    R. Mark Clayton, Mar 10, 2014
  8. Mack Danife

    Martin Brown Guest

    No. They are transmitted amongst other places on Freeview at channels
    58/59 but you do need a BT Internet connection to decode them.

    Martin Brown, Mar 10, 2014
  9. Mack Danife

    Mack Danife Guest

    If you have bt broadband + bt ID

    bt sport is free to your laptop / desktop or to your smartphone for
    laptop/ desktop you need microsoft silverlight installed
    for laptop download and install btsport app from play store.

    you can see cyclist watching live sports on their mobiles as they veer and
    occupy half the road ;)

    Mack Danife, Mar 10, 2014
  10. Mack Danife

    Andy Burns Guest

    If you're an existing customer you could (and still can) receive BT
    Sport via Freeview, but new customers require a BT Infinity connection

    <https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Sport/BT-Sport-on-DTT-Freeview/td-p/1139390>

    Andy Burns, Mar 10, 2014
  11. Mack Danife

    alanp Guest

    www.mail2web.com

    alanp, Mar 10, 2014
  12. Mack Danife

    Andy Burns Guest

    Yo Dawg! I heard you like cycling, so I installed BT sport on your
    google glass so you can watch cycling while you cycle.

    Andy Burns, Mar 10, 2014
  13. Mack Danife

    Martin Brown Guest

    That seems totally unfair to those of us without FTTC capability.
    I though they allowed the Freeview specifically for that situation.
    (otherwise it seems a pointless waste of two TDTV channels)

    Martin Brown, Mar 10, 2014
  14. Mack Danife

    Roger Mills Guest

    That's certainly one way - and one which I sometimes use when away from
    home - but there are lots of better ways (see my earlier post).
    --
    Cheers,
    Roger

    Roger Mills, Mar 10, 2014
  15. Mack Danife

    bert Guest

    It's not free, it's bundled. And you can't read emails with BT Sport.
    [/QUOTE]
    FFS what do you think "Customer hostile" implies?

    bert, Mar 10, 2014
  16. I thought that Microsoft had announced that the use of Silverlight was
    depreciated, with the recommendation that HTML 5 be used. So, requiring it
    for a recently released service seems a little shortsighted.

    Graham Murray, Mar 10, 2014
  17. Seems unlikely, as that means it's going down in value.

    You presumably mean "deprecated".

    Jeremy Nicoll - news posts, Mar 10, 2014
  18. Not possible with silverlight. Its already worthless.
    I nearly took the council to court for fining me for parking in a
    'prescribed' place.

    If not one that is prescribed, where else?

    --
    Ineptocracy

    diminishing number of producers.

    The Natural Philosopher, Mar 10, 2014
  19. No they do that anyway.

    R. Mark Clayton, Mar 11, 2014
  20. I used it first, so here is my intperpretaiton: -

    1. Doing what the customer does not want (e.g. cutting off live phone
    numbers)
    2. Not doing what the customer does want (e.g. not allowing user install of
    Infinity)
    3. Ripping the customer off. (e.g. introducing charges for service sold as
    inclusive)

    BT do all three in abundance...

    R. Mark Clayton, Mar 11, 2014