    threatening that they will cancel your email just like that seems unfair to
    me.

    P.S = I read somehere that BT was ending Yahoo venture.

    Mack Danife, Mar 8, 2014

  2. Mack Danife

    bert Guest

    Why should they provide you with this service f-o-c?
    Switching to Critical Path. Supposedly migration starting June last
    year.

    bert, Mar 9, 2014

  3. Mack Danife

    Mack Danife Guest

    They had been doing it for 20 years
    besides they can freely monitor what i write !!!!!! in their
    OWN SERVERS ;) or will they be paying yahoo for it ;)

    It will still be free if i subscribe to broadband.

    Mack Danife, Mar 9, 2014
  4. Mack Danife

    David Guest

    Do not understand you having to pay Sky to enable you to go to BT.

    I'm with Be and like O2 migrating to Sky as O2 sold both O2 and Be broadband
    to Sky. In fact I migrate next week.
    Like with Be I only have to give one months notice if I want to leave.

    Can't see why you should think BT should give things for free like your
    e-mail service. Unless they make money with adverts like other free e-mail
    services do.

    Regards
    David

    David, Mar 9, 2014
  5. It is question of semantics. It never was free but when you were a BT
    broadband customer it was inclusive. They just overlooked, or ignored,
    the account once you left and have now woken up. They have every right
    to close the account and you really have no redress.

    Peter Crosland, Mar 9, 2014
  6. Mack Danife

    Scott Guest

    From the business perspective I can see an argument against providing
    a free service to non-customers! I believe there are data protection
    issues that would prevent monitoring the content of your emails and in
    any event I cannot see how such activity would benefit BT.

    Scott, Mar 9, 2014
  7. Mack Danife

    Roger Mills Guest

    Presumably, at the time when you first acquired the btinternet address,
    you received an internet service from BT for which you paid them in one
    way or another - such as dial-up using an 0845 number or a fixed price
    monthly contract?

    And, presumably, you're now paying a different company for your internet
    service? If so, why do you believe that BT should continue to provide
    you with a free email service?

    Some organisations *do* actually do this. For example, I'm still able to
    use a Freeserve email address even though I haven't had a
    Freeserve/Wanadoo/Orange account for many years. But I have no absolute
    *right* to that. If Orange were to withdraw it, I would have no
    legitimate grounds for complaint because they don't get any revenue from me.
    --
    Cheers,
    Roger

    Roger Mills, Mar 9, 2014
  8. Absolutely. I left BT many years ago when I migrated to Plusnet. It
    wasn't long before I got the email from BT asking me to pay if I wanted
    to continue with the @btinternet.com email address. I did just that for
    a few months, until I'd advised all my contacts of my new Plusnet email
    address, and then ceased the BT one.
    You've actually been lucky that they've only just caught up with you!
    Pay up and look big...

    George Weston, Mar 9, 2014
  9. Mack Danife

    Peter Able Guest

    I also have such an email account. I'm most grateful to the current
    servicer of that long-defunct ISP's customers - a servicer who has never had
    a penny out of me.

    If he chooses to demand payment for future services - or just to cut me
    off - I'll be grateful for what I've had - and move on.

    PA

    Peter Able, Mar 9, 2014
  10. Mack Danife

    Mack Danife Guest

    Be very careful when you are dealing with any SKY company. They are NOT
    HONEST when they are talking to you. Ask confirmation of everything by
    email or letter. Even then you will notice some bits would be missing.

    This is how migration will work .

    Once you migrated you will have two accounts within SKY . As well as
    carrying your existing account with BE SKY will open a new one.You will have
    two bills .One from BE .That one most likely be in credit . The other bill
    will be from SKY and will charge you set up fees and a month advance as well
    as the remainder of time of from the migration date. When you ring them
    they will offer you a new better deal than the one they had already set up
    for you or make a discount from set up fee. Once you agree to this you are
    on a new contract. They will put you on a contract without cancellation /
    cooling off period . Then when you want to cancel they will ask an amount
    for cancellation. At least half the remainder of your broadband contract.
    DO NOT web pages and web forms to fill as they will either be in a vicious
    circle or will go to wrong department as the dropboxes will not have your
    choice for changes you require.

    I could go on more , but all these may be irrelevant to you. If you play
    your cards right and ask for your MAC code you might end up with a good deal
    on ayearly contract. As you say you have the right to cancel with no hassle
    since you are a migrating NEW customer.

    Remmeber SKY is not there to give you a service. It is there to charge you
    for what you can otherwise get free or half the price.

    Their online poker is good ..;)

    Mack Danife, Mar 9, 2014
  11. Mack Danife

    Mack Danife Guest

    Yes. At the time there was no other telephone company whatsoever. You
    registered free for e mail and used dial up. AOL, Pipex Compuserve etc was
    providing internet services. BT with 57Kb dialup was best. I have always
    preferred BT and only moved away, when they no longer provide the service.
    Hence O2, hence other Usenet providers. I will go back to BT as soon as I
    can . I hope one day they will start giving mobile services too.
    I use web mail, Provider makes revenue from advertisements from their pages.
    msn, yahoo, google provide many free services. Why do they do it ?
    So you can be a revenue bringing tool even though not paying directly. ;)
    As you say ,why would they do it otherwise. Maybe numbers look on their
    balance sheets.

    Mack Danife, Mar 9, 2014
  12. Mack Danife

    Mack Danife Guest

    I hear what you are saying..

    I think I will pay 3network, Telefonica, Google, MSN, Skype, and ride on my
    Volkswagen, and look even bigger and more Liberal

    Mack Danife, Mar 9, 2014
  13. Mack Danife

    David Guest

    I have what I agreed to migrate to in writing from Sky.
    Any credit with Be at migration will be returned to me.
    Regards
    David

    David, Mar 9, 2014
  14. Mack Danife

    Graham. Guest

    That's my attitude too.
    I have two Freeserve email accounts from the days of Freeserve
    dial-up, about 13 years old.

    Over the years Freeserve and then Wanadoo have tried to claw them back
    by making me reactivate them at three month intervals to stop them
    expiring. The current owners, Orange, have stopped doing that and I am
    grateful to still have them.

    Like the OP I have countless Internet memberships for a wide range of
    services using them. It would be very inconvenient to lose them, but
    if I did I wouldn't feel an injustice had been done.

    If I was going to pay for an email service, I would at least get my
    own domain name.

    Graham., Mar 9, 2014
  15. Correct.

    BY don't even keep your numbers when you migrate: -

    About ten years ago BT unilaterally migrated my Business Highway to ADSL.

    In the process they switched my internet account to a BTConnect one, but
    kindly let me pay a premium fee to keep my well known btinternet one (and
    obtained as a business deal, not residential as BT claimed). They were also
    unable to migrate the secondary number on the Highway box to the BT
    Broadband Voice (VOIP) line provided, so after much hassle and delay I had
    to port it out to Voipfone.

    About five years ago (after my employer stopped paying for my business line)
    I migrated the business line to residential. Again BT were unable (well
    unwilling really) to migrate the cal sign number (used for Fax) with the
    main number. After enormous hassle and delay (because BT claimed the number
    was with another provider) the fax number was eventually ported out to
    Voipfone. At least I was able to migrate the ISP to residential as well to
    rid of the BTConnect one and stop paying the 'premium'.

    Now BT have started charging me for my BT Broadband Talk number and worse,
    if I migrate to Infinity I will lose it altogether. BT having learnt from
    their lost business through their previous intransigence are simply refusing
    to transfer it at all.

    In short it is hard to imagine how BT could be more difficult and bloody
    minded about keeping phone numbers and addresses, but I am sure they will
    keep thinking up ways to be even more customer hostile...

    R. Mark Clayton, Mar 9, 2014
  16. Tell that to Google, if you take up a gmail account you give them
    express permission to read your emails, and they will target advertising
    at you based on the contents.

    Mike Tomlinson, Mar 9, 2014

  17. why should they give it to you for free if you're not using their
    broadband service !?

    the dog from that film you saw, Mar 9, 2014
  18. I have gmail account and I gave Google permission to read my emails.
    It works both ways as they finish up advertising for me. Any
    advertising targeted to me hits Agents junk detection so I rarely see
    any.

    Steve

    Stephen Wolstenholme, Mar 9, 2014
  19. Mack Danife

    kraftee Guest

    If you want a serious answer just pay for a company to host your own mail
    server then no matter who you go with, who you fall out with etc your email
    address will remain that which you have arranged with your hosting company.
    I think I'm correct in thinking that you wouldn't even need a service
    provider if you had enough free WiFi access available (they're even
    providing it on buses around here) as you could just access thru one of
    those.

    Email services are included in the package you pay an ISP for (normally,
    sometimes you don't even get that). Why should they then keep an email
    service open for ex customers for free using resources which the ex customer
    isn't paying for? The same goes for in house news groups/forums even any
    WebPages you may have published.

    As for any problems you may be having with your present ISP, that is an
    altogether different matter.

    kraftee, Mar 9, 2014
  20. Mack Danife

    Jim Guest

    If you're no longer with Freeserve etc., how do
    you access your Freeserve Email ?

    --
    :: Jim,

    NHS Health Database Sale Opt-out form: