Can anyone tell my how DVD players display JPEGs?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Alan F Cross, Sep 11, 2003.

  1. Alan F Cross

    Alan F Cross Guest

    I have a need to prepare some JPEGs for DVD players - not mine, so
    Ican't experiment.

    Can anyone tell me:

    Does a DVD with MP3 compatibility ("JPEG format") play stand-alone
    JPEGs?

    Do you just cut the JPEGs to CD, all in the same folder? Does the DVD
    (if it claims JPEG compatibility) run its own viewing software?

    Are there any constraints on number of images per folder, or file names?

    Does it default to viewing in alphabetical order? Can you adjust the
    time per image?

    Do they switch images, or elegantly cross-fade to the next?

    Are image best kept small, to minimise the DVD's resampling delay?
    What's the ideal image size (pixels)?

    Does the DVD usually allow for TV overscanning, by putting a black box
    around the image? How does it cope with vertical shots?

    Sorry, lots of questions - any help much appreciated.

    Alan F Cross, Sep 11, 2003

  2. If the DVD device claims "Jpeg Compatability", you should be able to just
    burn your images to a CD-R and play them.
    The DVD device controls the options for viewing, e.g., viewing order, time
    viewed, transition between images etc, etc.
    At least that is the way my $59 Apex does it.
    Bob Williams

    Robert E. Williams, Sep 11, 2003

  3. MP3 play is entirely different from jpeg display. One is an audio file,
    the other a video file.

    Because most of them take a long time to read, recode, and rescale the
    jpeg to fit, you're better off converting them with PC software. There
    have been numerous threads on the subject here, so I'll leave with just my
    preferred choice - dvd picture show 2 (ulead). These DVD or VCD solutions
    will be readable by most, whereas the jpeg solution is model specific.

    Jason O'Rourke, Sep 11, 2003
  4. Alan F Cross

    kay Guest

    Depends on the DVD but generally, if you just put the .jpgs to the root of
    the CD (no directories) many DVD's will launch an on-screen viewing
    application (slide show). Check your manual.

    kay, Sep 12, 2003
  5. Alan F Cross

    Alan F Cross Guest

    So I guess this will be a pretty basic presentation. If I later decide
    to cut a CD with a viewer application for the images, will this be
    picked up as an option or alternative?

    Alan F Cross, Sep 12, 2003
  6. Alan F Cross

    David Cohen Guest

    My GE plays jpeg. Problem is image is distorted, vertical is enlarged
    when displaying 1600x1200mp. Ok when played from camera connection. If
    I resample to 640x420 output looks good but I don't do it very much.
    I'd love to try same cd in an Apex which is the model I wanted but
    Walmart was out of stock!
    Dave Cohen

    David Cohen, Sep 12, 2003