    from un branded compatible components please!

    I remember something like "Quantell" but the dictionary does not say that.

    Mick.

    Mick, Jun 9, 2005

  2. Mick

    Mike Easter Guest

    Mick wrote:
    Subject: Can anyone tell me the name given to a computer built from
    compatable non same brand conponents please?

    If you are practicing how to write subjects, a good way to do it is to
    create a properly constructed message body first, which includes the
    question you are asking, and when that is done, to create a very brief
    subject which properly, and most importantly *succinctly* characterizes
    or encapsulates the content of the body message.

    Don't make your subject be the question you are asking, and don't make
    it be long.
    Typically the generic term for such computers is 'white box' -- here's
    an article context for that definition
    http://www.informit.com/articles/article.asp?p=170498&rl=1 Buying a
    Non-Branded "White Box" PC

    Mike Easter, Jun 9, 2005

  3. Mick

    cnw Guest

    Cheap?

    Neil.

    cnw, Jun 9, 2005
  4. Mick

    WormWood Guest

    Computer

    WormWood, Jun 9, 2005
  5. George.

    Blinky the Shark, Jun 9, 2005
  6. Mick

    clot Guest

    Do you mean ICL mainframe software?

    clot, Jun 10, 2005
  7. Mick

    tango Guest

    Generic

    tango, Jun 10, 2005
  8. No, I mean "George".

    Blinky the Shark, Jun 10, 2005
  9. Mick

    ng_reader Guest

    I prefer to use the word "clone". Add an "R" somewhere and I think you have
    a clone-box in Quantell. I'm to believe that IBM had the right call it a
    PC, no one else. Of course, IBM only made the BIOS on the original PC,
    everything else came from companies like Intel and Western Digital.

    Go Phillies.

    ng_reader, Jun 10, 2005
  10. Mick

    Ron Reaugh Guest

    Clone is the correct answer and sometimes "white box".

    Ron Reaugh, Jun 10, 2005
  11. Cite, please.

    Blinky the Shark, Jun 10, 2005
  12. Mick

    ng_reader Guest

    Come to think of it, that makes almost no sense. But, back when I sold the
    things, I would tell people that the only one that could call the machine a
    PC was IBM as they were the inventor. Everyone else was a knock-off.

    I imagine they did try and copywrite it, and that ought to be a matter of
    public record.

    ng_reader, Jun 10, 2005
  13. Salesman's bullshit, IOW. I remain unsurprised.

    Blinky the Shark, Jun 10, 2005
  14. Mick

    Rick Merrill Guest

    I'd call it a "custom computer" - but that's not a 'proper name.'

    Rick Merrill, Jun 10, 2005
  15. One of the IBM salesmans inside jokes used to be "You can buy better
    than IBM, but you can't pay more."

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jun 10, 2005
  16. Mick

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Cheap?

    Toolman Tim, Jun 11, 2005
  17. "Grey Box" (beige, actually)
    "Clone"

    I wonder if you can grow one from stem cell sweepings at the HP
    factory?

    Gregary Peccary, Jun 11, 2005
  18. Mick

    Private Pyle Guest

    Pyles dream system

    or maybe

    Dell

    Private Pyle, Jun 11, 2005
  19. Since I bought my last computer (the basis for the one I'm using right
    now) in 1990, I like to think of it as an Evolved System. :)

    Blinky the Shark, Jun 11, 2005
  20. Mick

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Well, the Dell computers are not really "unbranded" components, but close
    <g>

    Toolman Tim, Jun 11, 2005