    Also on heavy stock... maybe even metal.

    any recommendations? (not too expensive)

    Thanks.

    Bob, Aug 16, 2004

  2. Bob

    photo35744 Guest

    Lumius offers a good selection of papers, one being a foil paper. Moab has
    the best quality artistic papers.

    photo35744, Aug 16, 2004

  3. http://large-format-printers.org/index.html

    Gene Palmiter, Aug 16, 2004
  4. That's not "large format". That's *small*. Most of the Epson photo
    printers will print whatever width they print out to 44 feet. 8.5x17
    thus needs only the normal-sized printer. Something like the R800
    would do you nicely (for first-rate photo quality and good
    permanence). Or the R200 or R300, much cheaper, dye inks rather than
    the more permanent pigmented Ultrachrome inks.
    I haven't worked with the R800, but I notice that it can handle a CD
    in a carrier, so it probably has a good straight-through paper path
    and hence can probably handle heavy stock. At least one of the R200
    and R300 will also handle CDs.

    How the inks would work on metal would be an interesting issue for you
    to handle :).

    David Dyer-Bennet, Aug 16, 2004
  5. Bob

    Bob Guest

    Ya I was hoping that - but maybe I should have said 11 x 17...

    I tried my HP but it won't go past 14" long without screwing up, even when set
    to 'banner'. Using custom size in Publisher is just ignored... pretty stupid
    driver...
    I never liked Epson since all the little Epson's I've seen were jammed or
    broken... but maybe the newer stuff is better...
    The paper path seems to be folded, there is a carrier for the CDs... maybe
    something could be done...
    Yes I'm interested in experimenting - I figure I need to coat the metal first
    with something to take the ink. If I'm successful it could mean a new business
    venture! The metal I plan to print on is actually thinner then the heavy photo
    paper I use, it just doesn't bend so well!

    Bob, Aug 17, 2004
  6. Bob

    Bob Guest

    Thanks for the linc!

    Bob, Aug 17, 2004
  7. Printing on metal....well...trophy shops do it this way....they print an
    iron on transfer and iron that onto a plastic coated sheet of metal...or a
    plastic sheet that looks like metal. If time and money is not an issue
    ....that is if its for art and not for money...then a machine that cuts sign
    material might be used to make a mask...sand blast and rub ink or paint into
    the etching. Might be fun!

    Gene Palmiter, Aug 17, 2004
  8. I should correct one mistake in what I said -- it's 44 *inches*, not
    feet, that most-all the Epsons will go out to. Still pretty
    panoramic.

    For medium-carriage (12" print width, will take wider paper enough for
    some margin) the choices are more limited in Epson, basically the 1280
    and the 2200. The 2200 is much more archival -- the pigmented
    Ultrachrome ink set. And more expensive.
    I've run a 1200 and an 1160 here and they've been pretty fine for me.
    I believe there are multiple paper paths.
    Sounds pretty cool. Have fun!

    David Dyer-Bennet, Aug 17, 2004
  9. Bob

    Bob Guest

    Do you know what this transfer medium is? Is it like the T-shirt stuff?
    I want to replace silk screen printing with inkjet... but actually I'd settle
    for being able to make silk screens on my printer!

    That may be the best way - I have to research it, it really isn't my field...

    Bob, Aug 18, 2004