    Dave Doe Guest

    Maybe one of these? ...

    http://pricespy.co.nz/#rparams=ss=dvb

    Dave Doe, Feb 19, 2013

  2. Dave Doe

    Dave Doe Guest

    Or (bloody hell, there's a few) these? - probably prefer an on-board
    card, but if the USB sticks are good - I don't know
    http://pricespy.co.nz/category.php?k=460

    Dave Doe, Feb 19, 2013

  3. Dave Doe

    JohnO Guest

    The Hauppauge Nova-T has been around for ages, has lots of driver support and seems to be a bit of a reference standard. I've got one and it seems to just work.

    The HVR designation means hybrid - it has analog and digital tuners. That'sa waste of money as analog is about to be switched off. I would avoid PCI cards and get USB - USB is here to stay and doesn't require opening the case and can be moved from PC to PC easily. PCI might disappear from motherboards and is a fiddle to install.

    JohnO, Feb 19, 2013

  4. I brought a USB stick from China, it had comments that it worked in NZ
    it dose, cost some $20, the same looking model is sold on Trade Me for
    about $34.

    To day this Hauppauge would be the only brand I would look for, have
    very good support and from memory and a 2 tuner model

    http://www.hauppauge.com.sg/

    You can email them as I have done this in the past.

    Frank Williams, Feb 19, 2013
  5. Dave Doe

    Enkidu Guest

    I've had variable results with USB stick devices (not that I've tried a
    DVB one though). Some of them seem seem flaky, possibly because the
    current drain is too high for the port they are plugged into, which
    shouldn't be a problem with recent hardware. That said, USB is the way
    to go.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Feb 19, 2013
  6. Dave Doe

    Dave Doe Guest

    Cheers, I shoulda mentioned I have no PCI, just PCI-E.

    Looking at the HVR2200, but for another $50 the HVR4400 looks good? ...

    http://www.tastech.co.nz/index.php?cPath=119

    Dave Doe, Feb 19, 2013
  7. Dave Doe

    Dave Doe Guest

    Then again, he's got this, and it's only $90 ...

    http://www.tastech.co.nz/product_info.php?products_id=284554

    I just don't know about a USB stick - why would/could that be better?

    Dave Doe, Feb 19, 2013
  8. Dave Doe

    JohnO Guest

    Yeah, the DVB ones don't have to do any processing - they just eat up the digital data off the air and pump it out. The PC CPU has to do a lot of workto demultiplex and decompress the video stream out of it.
    That reminds me - these things sometimes come with a little desktop antenna- but I've found them useless and have only had good results connecting toa proper roof top UHF antenna. Maybe the little ones are ok if you have a close line of sight view of one of the transmitter towers.

    JohnO, Feb 19, 2013
  9. Dave Doe

    Dave Doe Guest

    Um... I also believe that any device would come with some software, but
    I'm looking at (also) running this...

    http://www.progdvb.com/

    Dave Doe, Feb 19, 2013

  10. You don't need to be a PC tech to install it or the invalidate your
    warrantee.

    Frank Williams, Feb 20, 2013

  11. Not so as the Video card can do it if you have the right card.

    Frank Williams, Feb 20, 2013
  12. Dave Doe

    Gib Bogle Guest

    "it had comments that it worked in NZ it dose"
    Could you translate this please?

    Gib Bogle, Feb 20, 2013
  13. Dave Doe

    Gordon Guest

    Indeed. For this cards job after all. Roger is going well in this thread.

    Gordon, Feb 20, 2013
  14. Dave Doe

    victor Guest

    You can put it on a usb cable and put it up near a window, you can use
    it with a laptop.
    The digital stream is mpeg4 so its like playing mpeg4 files off a usb
    drive for the cpu.
    The name brands will probably have the same chipset as the cheapies
    Try DX.com and you can probably get one for $20 with free shipping

    victor, Feb 20, 2013
  15. Dave Doe

    victor Guest

    And you can have several tuners

    victor, Feb 20, 2013
  16. Dave Doe

    JohnO Guest

    What card would that be, Roger? I am talking about DVB-T cards here, not analog tuners.

    JohnO, Feb 20, 2013
  17. Dave Doe

    JohnO Guest

    I am aware of analog tuners such as the classic Hauppauge PVR-150 style that to on card MPeg-2 decompression but that is now largely irrelevant with the demise of analog TV. What DVB-T cards are available that will do onboardMPeg-4 decompression, in particular of the type used in NZ Freeview?

    JohnO, Feb 20, 2013
  18. Dave Doe

    JohnO Guest

    On Wednesday, 20 February 2013 12:47:32 UTC+13, Dave Doe wrote:
    It has 4 tuners
    - DVB-S2 (Hidef satellite - is there anything in NZ?)
    - DVB-S - Freeview satellite
    - DVB-T High def and std def terrestrial freeview
    - Analog RF )about to be turned off in NZ)

    Do you need satellite? Plenty of places do have poor UHF coverage. If you have good UHF maybe you don't need satellite (or a dish).

    Note that you don't need multiple tuners to record multiple DVB-T simultaneous channels. The software can demultiplex them.

    JohnO, Feb 20, 2013

  19. You dit not read the Full post I am refering to a 3D card that can
    handle the video stream and not to hog the CPU..

    CUDA & AMD App.

    Do some reading.

    Frank Williams, Feb 20, 2013
  20. Dave Doe

    Enkidu Guest

    What card would that be, Roger? I am talking about DVB-T cards here,
    not analog tuners.
    [/QUOTE]
    Roger is talking about the video cards which can do a lot of the hard
    lifting of decompressing the video stream and so on.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Feb 20, 2013