Can anyone help me with file/printer sharing please!?!

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by hugh jass, Sep 11, 2003.

  1. hugh jass

    hugh jass Guest

    I am trying to set up a network with a 4 port firewall router. So far, I
    have connected it to DSL and put two stations on the internet and email.
    Now I am trying to figure out file sharing and printer sharing so that
    station1 has access to station2. Station2 doesn't need access to station1.
    Station2 has a printer and scanner attached to it, which I would like to
    access from station1. Let's assume that these stations are named "Station1"
    and "Station2."
    (from Station1) Ok, I could see Station2 just a second ago in My Network
    Places and I could even see the files... Haven't changed anything as far as
    I can tell. Now, when I go to My Network Places, I can see the Workgroup
    and Station1 and Station2 listed, but when I click on Station2 to gain
    access, I get the following error message;
    \\Station2 is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this
    network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if
    you have access permissions. The network path was not found." I am able to
    click on Station1 (I know it is the machine that I am on, but this makes me
    believe that it is not a setup issue, but a permissions or firewall issue).

    Why did I have access a second ago? I *AM* the administrator. The router
    has a built in firewall. Could this be causing a problem? If so, why did
    it work before? Anyone know how to get this going? I have purposely
    defined the sharing as "Full" without any passwords.
    When I go to Printers and Faxes to connect to the Station2 printer (using
    the Add Printer Wizard), I can see Station2, but cannot drill into it to
    find out what printers are available. I can click on Station1 and find out
    what is connected to it, but not Station2.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance, hj.
    ______________________

    hugh jass, Sep 11, 2003

  2. hugh jass

    you suck Guest

    when I did mine I had to install the printer on both machines. On the
    networked machine, the printer is installed as \\user\epson. User being the
    machine name and epson being the defined printer.

    The firewall probably is causing you problems. you should be able to access
    it and cahnge some settings.

    you suck, Sep 11, 2003

  3. hugh jass

    hugh jass Guest

    Why does nobody respond to this topic?
    Too boring or too annoying?
    Please give me some pointers if you can.
    thnks, hj
    PS - Thanks 'you suck' for the tips on the printer install. I know I'll
    have to play around with the firewall and I am not looking forward to it.

    --
    ______________________
    :
    : Why did I have access a second ago? I *AM* the administrator. The router
    : has a built in firewall. Could this be causing a problem? If so, why did
    : it work before? Anyone know how to get this going? I have purposely
    : defined the sharing as "Full" without any passwords.
    : When I go to Printers and Faxes to connect to the Station2 printer (using
    : the Add Printer Wizard), I can see Station2, but cannot drill into it to
    : find out what printers are available. I can click on Station1 and find
    out
    : what is connected to it, but not Station2.
    : Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    : Thanks in advance, hj.
    : ______________________
    : please remove the obvious from my email...
    :
    :

    hugh jass, Sep 11, 2003
  4. hugh jass

    PhilGreg Guest

    [snip]

    ==> I haven't done any networking since I set up mine and it's run so
    well I've forgotten most of it. Try this link for starters;
    http://www.putergeek.com/home_network_2/
    Once you finish there, go to www.grc.com and look around for his
    networking security stuff. I can't get to grc.com at the moment, I
    think he's under attack again. At any rate if you can get through,
    spend some time there. It will be especially beneficial.

    --
    Phil

    \\\///
    ( o o )

    PhilGreg, Sep 11, 2003
  5. hugh jass

    jeroen Guest

    I was going to resist this one but here goes.

    1. RTFM, the linksys one that is.
    2. google for microsoft <your windows version> networking

    jeroen, Sep 11, 2003