Can anyone decipher this?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by djarvinen, Apr 2, 2008.

  1. djarvinen

    djarvinen Guest

    Could anyone please decipher this header and figure out who the guilty
    culprit is in causing a rather large delay in this email delivery?

    Thanks.

    djarvinen, Apr 2, 2008

  2. djarvinen

    why? Guest

    http://www.spamcop.net/anonsignup.shtml
    SpamCop parses reported email, sending warning information to the
    internet service provider responsible for hosting the services used by
    the spammer (web sites and email sending sites).

    tracking app,
    http://www.emailtrackerpro.com/

    http://www.visualware.com/resources/tutorials/email.html
    Email Tracking Tutorial using eMailTrackerPro

    Will be other apps and guides.
    <snip>

    Me

    why?, Apr 2, 2008

  3. djarvinen

    Mike Easter Guest

    -1- If you want people to read your usenet messages to answer questions
    or converse, you should post with a nntp newsreader and newsserver
    instead of googlegroups. Many people filter out GGers, so your post is
    invisible to them and to me. I can only see that you posted something
    because someone answered you.

    -2- This type of group is not the best way to post a question about
    spam email headers, and it is never good to only post partial headers
    instead of complete headers. Optimally you would post 'the whole
    enchilada' with complete headers and contiguous spambody in the proper
    way.

    -3- There are several proper ways to expose the complete headers with
    unrendered spambody. One is to post the complete item in the newsgroup
    news.admin.net-abuse.sightings and provide a link to the message by its
    message id. Another two methods which are more efficient are to either
    have a website where you can post the item and a link to it, or to have
    a free spamcop account and to perform appropriate privacy mungeing of
    the item and then submit it to the parser and then copy the tracking url
    and post it into a group such as alt.spam or similar.

    -4- This item is missing essential elements which you have omitted,
    such as the messageid, subject, and from which are typically stamped by
    the sending agent, a webmailer at yourhostingaccount.com. That
    webmailer doesn't provide the IP of the connecting sender, but it
    typically stamps a Sender and a From header to identify the account. If
    the complete headers are typical for yourhostingaccount.com which appear
    in sightings, you can only contact the provider for the output server
    66.96.187.18 rDNS bosmailout18.eigbox.net calling itself
    bosmailout18.yourhostingaccount.com which isn't currently blocklisted.

    -5- eigbox.net is Endurance International Group aka BIZLAND which
    contact info is
    (for bizland-inc.com)

    Mike Easter, Apr 2, 2008
  4. djarvinen

    Mike Easter Guest

    There was no delay between the webmailer's handling of the item and its
    delivery to hotmail, as the times stamped were 21:45 and 21:46 UTC
    respectively.

    Mike Easter, Apr 2, 2008
  5. djarvinen

    Whiskers Guest

    Others have missed the point of your question, but in responding to it
    have brought it to my attention (otherwise it would have remained hidden
    from me, as you posted using Google Groups) so I'll see if my answer is
    closer to the question you asked.

    Here are the oldest and newest Received headers, from which you will see
    that it took less than a minute from 'injection' of the message to it's
    being placed in your email service provider's 'spool' ready for you to
    collect it.

    [...]
    [...]

    That doesn't look to me like any delay at all worth mentioning. How long
    after it got to your Hotmail server before you saw it is entirely down to
    the way you read your incoming email.

    You haven't included the Date header which is normally inserted by the
    sender's system when they 'Send' the message. If there isn't a Date
    header then your own email reader will probably insert whatever date it
    thinks corresponds to 'day zero' - typically 1st January 1970 or some such
    'pre-personal-compters and pre-invention-of-email' date.

    A missing Date header is a very spammish feature of an email message.
    Most sensible spam filters would classify the thing as spam on that score
    alone, and consign it to the 'Wastebasket' or 'Bulk mail folder' for
    eventual automatic deletion unseen unless the recipient intervenes in time
    to rescue it.

    Whiskers, Apr 2, 2008
  6. djarvinen

    why? Guest

    Really?

    OP asked to decipher the header, there is nothing that can be done with
    the X fields, perhaps spamcop can't figure out the culprit.
    <snip>

    Me

    why?, Apr 2, 2008
  7. djarvinen

    Mike Easter Guest

    The OP has silently hidden a number of headers from us as well as
    obfuscating the intent of hir question.

    No wonder we filter GGers.

    Mike Easter, Apr 2, 2008
  8. djarvinen

    Whiskers Guest

    [...]

    The OP said nothing about spam. Statistically, any email message is more
    likely to be spam than not, and the headers quoted suggest that that
    message may have been in the majority, and if those were all the headers
    the message contained then the bogosity approaches 1, but that isn't what
    the OP was asking about.

    Whiskers, Apr 3, 2008
  9. djarvinen

    Mike Easter Guest

    We are 'debating' what the drive-by GGer meant to ask.

    Mike Easter, Apr 3, 2008
  10. djarvinen

    Whiskers Guest

    Perhaps we should be debating the debate ... ?

    Whiskers, Apr 3, 2008
  11. djarvinen

    why? Guest

    Not any more.

    Me

    why?, Apr 3, 2008
  12. djarvinen

    why? Guest

    It's still a tracing service, along with the other app mentioned.
    <snip>

    Me

    why?, Apr 3, 2008

  13. But... *what if* nobody is taking the bait?

    If nobody shows up, is anybody *really* late?
    Perhaps, everyone else is already out on a date?

    Alas, it seems to be just another twist of fate.

    (Pssst : the k00k who *always* whines about "we" is the
    1st to nym-shyft and post "TINW" to the thread... FWIW...)

    --

    My name is Bucky Breeder and I approve this message!

    On the USA presidental elections? All I can say is that the future of the
    world may boil down like shown in the 1996 phrophetic Will Smith movie,
    'Independence Day'; and at last check, Clintons are draft-dodgers, and
    Obama was too busy becoming a lawyer rich off blacks to be bothered
    with military concepts; thus, McCain is the best because he can jump
    into a jet and shoot down any invaders we may have to defend against!

    http://www.jonregen.com/audio/WORDS_MUSIC_2006-Finished_Wi.m3u

    Bucky Breeder, Apr 3, 2008
  14. djarvinen

    djarvinen Guest

    Not true.

    The ONLY changes I made were to modify a couple of 'real' email
    addresses to something like

    I did not hide any headers. It was a 'cut and paste' from the
    original email. Perhaps the 'view header' option didn't view
    everything.
    I did not obfuscate the intent of my question except possible to those
    who can't understand the question.

    djarvinen, May 11, 2008